Search Unity

How to build open world map?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by supadupa64, Mar 10, 2016.

1. supadupa64

supadupa64

Hey Tony, during scene loading I have a glitch. I would think it glitches because there are a lot of quests and it looks like the engine goes through all the quests or something while loading a new transition scene. Check out 20:49 in my video.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  2. TonyLi

TonyLi

Since it's happening at a scene transition, my guess is that the player spawns into the new scene inside the trigger collider that would take him back to the original scene, and this is causing the player to flip-flop between the scenes. To confirm this, disable the scene-change trigger in the new scene. Then transition from the old scene to the new scene and see if it makes any difference.

3. supadupa64

supadupa64

Scene1 is called: Ruction_3.10.16
    Scene3 is called: Scene_3

Here's what I have right now. I changed a couple things and starting getting caught in an endless movement loop that didn't end just going back and forth between scenes. But actually the way it is atm it loads my player at the place I have the entrypoint at which isn't supposed to happen.

I did discover though that the first time I go through the scene load it works great. The second time it glitches a few times, then if i go back into the scene collider again it glitches out of control and I end up in an endless load loop that doesn't stop as far as I can tell.

I don't know if this has something to do with it, but I have a player already in every every scene already when it loads. So the player doesn't really move, it just loads the scene with the player in it already.

scene_transitions.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  4. TonyLi

TonyLi

Given that description, I'm pretty sure the problem is that when the player enters a new scene it activates the trigger to return to the previous scene.

If that's the case, an easy way to fix it is to make sure the original player position doesn't overlap any scene-change triggers, and make sure your MoveTo() sequence triggers don't move the player into any scene-change triggers. For example, set up your scene-change triggers and MoveTo() positions like this:

so the MoveTo() command in Scene 2 should position the player just outside the return scene-change trigger to scene 1. (And make sure your original player position isn't inside any scene-change triggers.)

5. supadupa64

supadupa64

Here's what I have set up. It still does the same thing. I'll keep working on it.

scene_change.jpg

DBarlok likes this.
  6. supadupa64

supadupa64

Hey, so question. I came up with a brilliant idea, I think. I got thinking. The only thing I'm trying to do is take out objects because there is so much lag. I thought why not set up a sequence trigger that activates and deactivates (with true, false commands) objects in my scene instead of all this "complicated" load scene situation. I tried it and it works. Do you see any problems with this? Off the top of my head I feel like it's an amazing discovery and I can just build everything in one huge scene and just active stuff and deactivate objects as the player moves through the world.

I already had large areas of objects grouped together so I just added it to the sequence command.

7. TonyLi

TonyLi

That's a great idea. You could use Range Triggers for this instead of Sequence Triggers, but if it's already working I'd say don't touch it. :)

supadupa64 likes this.
  8. supadupa64

supadupa64

I have am having a problem with disabled objects showing during game view. I have a large group of objects that I disable sometimes during game view mode. Just recently I noticed that when I disable the object group it just shows up anyway. I probably have close to 30,000 objects in my scene which is why I disable things here and there.

Any idea what causes this?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  9. supadupa64

supadupa64

Nevermind, I figured it out (after hours of trying to find the problem). I accidentally placed an NPC humanoid inside a trigger I had forgotten about that I as using for testing earlier. It was insta triggering the "active" sequence when I hit play. The things that happen when building a game. =)

Even though there are problems, it always feels great to be able to find the solution. :)

10. supadupa64

supadupa64

Does anybody know how to fix an unwanted API update? I downloaded https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/19250 to test it out and while I was installing I got the API update warning: APIUpdaterWarningDialog.png

Right, ok, so lets say I didn't make a backup (I did, but it was a few days ago) and clicked go ahead. After pushing play in the editor I discovered my frame rate had dropped dramatically from about 40fps to 15 and below. I am unable to get the fps back up after deleting the installed package.

Is there a way to reinstall the same API that was there before to get the code/settings back?

11. supadupa64

supadupa64

Not_Sure and TonyLi like this.
  12. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Well...what is an open-world game, exactly?

I would say that the high-level concept of "open-world" is more of a play paradigm over a hard genre - you can have an open-world FPS, an open-world Western RPG, an open-world JRPG, an open-world iterative clicker. All it means is that there is less rigid control over the challenges you are allowed to take on, compared to the restrictions in "previous" works (which is also unhelpful, because at this point Skyrim, an open-world Western RPG, is in fact a previous work.)

A lot of mechanics are imposed by genres - genres wind up being collections of mechanics and certain patterns in content. A Western RPG emphasizes a single, highly-customized player avatar that is "grown" over the course of the game to be able to fulfill their challenges, possibly with an AI companion to help cover any weaknesses in the player's "build."

Are there videos on how to create a Western RPG? I don't know of any, but I could be proven wrong, I'm sure.

Are there videos on how to create an Open-World game? Wu. What kind of open-world game?

13. TonyLi

TonyLi

Good point, but I assumed Not_Sure was referring to the technical implementation of seamless game worlds in which the player can move freely. With the availability of async loading in Unity 5 Personal and changes to scene management in Unity 5.3, it's a lot easier to implement this. Someone should do a video series on how to set this up.

DBarlok and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  14. supadupa64

supadupa64

DBarlok, Not_Sure and TonyLi like this.