Search Unity

How to build for Windows Phone?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by BravenBitSoftware, Apr 9, 2017.

1. BravenBitSoftware

BravenBitSoftware

Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. I've never developed for Windows Phone before, and i am failing miserably on my first attempt. I've made a simple game, and i want to test it. I am 100% sure i am not even going to be able to start the game xD but i can't do even such a simple thing...

I am using Unity 5.6.0f1 with the Windows Store module installed and that other thing i forgot the name that enables you to emulate a windows phone, etc. But i don't get it. How can i actually BUILD my game for Windows Phone? I tried everything but i always end up with the game folder being full of pc archives such as vs and prop files, tools, and other things, but i can't find a .exe file to open the game when i pass it to my Windows Phone. Where is the executable file? What am i doing wrong?

2. pumpkinszwan

pumpkinszwan

There is no executable file for Windows Phone. You build a Visual Studio solution from Unity via the Build window (it sounds like you have already done this). You then need to open that solution in Visual Studio in order to put it onto a device.

If you don't have Visual Studio, install it (get the free VS 2017 Community Edition, though you might need an older version if you're targeting WP8.1 rather than Windows 10). When you install it, make sure to install the Windows Store modules. You will also need the emulators if you want to test your build without an actual handset.

FWIW, if you are building for Windows 10/UWP, you can deploy the same solution to an Xbox One or Windows 10 PC/tablet as well.

3. BravenBitSoftware

BravenBitSoftware

Yeah, i discovered that by myself and i sincerely gave up. I had to install so many modules that in total, it took me at least 40Gbs, and all for nothing bcs Vs throwed me some random installation error thing so i can't build the solution. Thanks Microsoft...

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

What's the error?

5. BravenBitSoftware

BravenBitSoftware

It says i am missing an SDK, but i do have it and it's the last update. When i click to supposedly update it, i am redirected to MSN's page...

6. fadhilditya

fadhilditya

If you can't build WP game from Visual Studio to Windows phone you might try this :)

note: build your game/ app in VS2015, makesure you have the tools needed, UWP sdk, net and I'm not pretty sure ha! (after the Unity Export to Windows Store, open .sln files in your Build Folder in Visual Studio 2015 )

and try these one:

1. Open windows/inf/ search for wpdmtp.inf, right click install ( dont know what really is haha, just check over here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29033181/pc-doesnt-recognize-windows-phone-device )

2. If you cant Connect your phone via remote/device. Try with shared wifi on WP setting>for devs (open the address in your PC browser, e.g 192.168.x.x) make your way through that address, Even it was not a secure page.

3. Before that, you must Pair your device and set your phone as Dev mode (in WP, open Settings> dev mode> pair and you'll get a code)

4. Open the apps tab

5. Choose app package (appx) and
    dependencies from your build folder, and deploy!

6. Make sure you're not lock your phone during the process

hope this helps :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017