Search Unity

How to build an animated score bar like GTA 1?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by filiperangel, Apr 13, 2015.

1. filiperangel

filiperangel

Hi, I am trying to build a animated score bar like GTA 1 but I have no idea in how to start that and I am not great with animations yet. To exemplify what I am trying to do you can view this video, skip to 5:18 please. (the score bar is on the top right):

if anyone have done that or if you could send me links that will help me build such a thing it would be great.

Thank you in advance.

2. funshark

funshark

I'm not a programmer so I can't go further in the explanation ( like, how you could code that guy ), but you can do that with a mask and a sprite with all your numbers disposed vertically.

3. filiperangel

filiperangel

Thank you for the tip, I will look into it and see how far I can get. If you have anything else that could help me please let me know. Cheers.

4. funshark

funshark

5. filiperangel

filiperangel

Based on your info and some research that I made on the internet I was able to make something similar to what I want to do. I have exported my scene so you guys can have a look in what I've done so far. To make the score add just press Up Arrow, it will add 2 to the score.

There are two scripts one called Content.cs that is responsible for making the animation of the score bar. Calling the method AddPoint(int point) will call a Coroutine that makes the animation happen by adding a velocity to the scrollRect (ContentScore0, ContentScore1, ...), the reason I am calling a coroutine is because this way I can let the animation run for 2 seconds (or more) and then I stop it by setting the anchoredPostion of the scrollRect to the position of the image that represents the score number. Also, before setting the anchoredPosition, after the 2 seconds that I set for the animation I rearrange the images so the number that I want is always on top, here is the code for that:

Code (CSharp):
    1. //ImageName is the name of the image that represents number that will be in the score bar 0,1,2,3....9
    2.         Transform child = transform.FindChild(imageName);
    3.         int index = child.GetSiblingIndex ();
    4.         for(int i = 0; i < index; i++)
    5.         {
    6.             transform.GetChild(0).SetSiblingIndex(transform.childCount-1);
    7.         }

on the Update method I make sure that I rearrange the images so it seems that it is an infinite scroll:

Code (CSharp):
    2. void Update () {
    3.         if (!checkUpdate)
    4.             return;
    6.         if (_contentRectTransform.anchoredPosition.y > 0.0f)
    7.         {
    8.             transform.GetChild(0).SetSiblingIndex(transform.childCount-1);
    9.             _contentRectTransform.anchoredPosition = new Vector2 (_contentRectTransform.anchoredPosition.x,_contentRectTransform.anchoredPosition.y-imageSize);
    10.         }
    11.     }
    It has solved my problem for now but I would like to be able to keep the animation smoother without having to wait 2 seconds and then set the anchorPosition for the scrollRect. I wanted just to start the animation and it would end on the number that I want.

Thanks for your help funshark.

Attached Files: