Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question How to build a complete project from A to Z? Where is the documentation?

Discussion in 'Unity Reflect' started by Davkar688, Apr 22, 2023.

1. Davkar688

Davkar688

My company recently invested in a set of licenses (Review, Collaborate, Develop and Unity Pro) with the intent of publishing our clients' buildings to Reflect, import into Pro, change the materials to accurate PBR materials, add in correct lighting and publish back to Reflect viewer for client meetings. The Unity sales team made it sound as though the process was already in place to do this but to me it seems like a hodgepodge of packages and there is no concise documentation. I have been through the meager Reflect documentation, but it ends at importing assets. It doesn't say anything about publishing back to the Viewer. It seems as though the majority of info is geared to making a custom viewer. Am I missing something?

I want to Import from Revit, tweak, Export, View in VR?? Do I have to make an "app" or a custom viewer for every project and then issue an .exe file? If so... How? There is some info on Youtube, Unity Learning, this forum etc... but nothing seems A to Z. Everything revolves around customizing the viewer, but I'm not concerned with the viewer until I can fancy up these buildings. Some videos that may have covered this were removed from Unity Learning but I'm not sure if they did. I'm willing to put in the work I just need to know what to do.

I'm frustrated because I fought like a tiger to get my company on board with Unity but I've had endless support tickets just to make Reflect work (no VR on my managers PC, Crashing Viewer. Hub issues, Licensing issues and slow support response) but now I can't find the resources I need to make a small but viewable customized project. Can anyone point me to something more comprehensive? I'll beg if I need to!

TLDR; How do I modify Revit models and get them back into Reflect Viewer. A to Z.

Thank you.
    Dave

2. quintus_smit

quintus_smit

Hey Dave,

Just to understand where you are stuck...
    • How familiar are you with Unity in general?
    • Can you import models and create PBR materials etc?

3. DavidTuck

DavidTuck

Thank you for your reply! I’d say I’m an intermediate with Unity but a beginner at coding, which is why I was excited by the Reflect system. I have been able to setup the Reflect environment and Import a building from Reflect into Unity. I know how to add materials and lights and the basics of scene building. The problem is that there is no documentation on how to send the model (I am using model instead of project for clarity) back into the Reflect cloud to view on my VR. I did a test model that was stripped and changed several walls with a simply Material. No Substance or anything fancy. But then what? I ran a build and got no errors but that’s it. I can’t find the next step to get it back up to the cloud. I hoped that building it would send it back but I checked in Reflect Viewer and nothing had changed.

basically I’ve fought to get to step X or Y but I can’t find step Z. Any help would be appreciated. Maybe I missed a step earlier in the process. Is there a specific place to put the imported prefab so Unity knows to send it back?

any help is appreciated!
    -Dave

4. quintus_smit

quintus_smit

ah ok, I see what you are asking.
    The Reflect viewer acts as a standalone application that links with your CAD application - Revit in your case. So you build and iterate in Revit, then send it to the Viewer to present the design.

The Develop license allows you to import a model into Unity and add additional functionality, then build a new viewer with your model inside it. It won't automatically push the updated model back to the cloud, but you can still use some coding to combine the two features.

I am a little rusty since I haven't worked with Reflect in the last year, so there may be new features I am not aware of, but if you want, we can do a zoom call so I can take a look for you?

5. mgear

mgear

6. Davkar688

Davkar688

Thank you, but I watched those, and the information is outdated. I tried following the instructions, but it led me to a dead end. Most Reflect tutorials and documentation are badly outdated. That's where my frustration lies.

7. Davkar688

Davkar688

That would be wonderful. The Unity sales team made it sound as if we could "send it back" to the cloud and it would overwrite whatever is there with my new beautiful model. I was worried that I was fed a bunch of bull and it sounds like I was right. I would definitely appreciate it if you could explain to me what I can and can't do with Reflect. I don't understand the point of doing a custom viewer or how to get that viewer to my clients. Let me know when you would be available for a quick call and we can set something up for later this week. I really appreciate it.

8. quintus_smit

quintus_smit

I sent you a DM with my email address, send me a message then we set up a chat

9. Davkar688

Davkar688

I got your info and I appreciate it. I will contact you soon, but first my manager has called for a meeting to discuss whether to continue with Unity at all. Neither of our Reflect installs work with VR. As soon as we switch to VR mode it crashes and we have had such poor response from support that we may end our relationship with Unity completely. We need to have a serious talk about our options. If this is the support and documentation that Unity offers, then it's going to cost us a LOT of money in development time and that's NOT what we were sold. Thank you for your response and offer of help! I will let you know soon.