Search Unity

How to attach text to a GameObject?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dkalkwarf, Mar 29, 2020.

1. dkalkwarf

dkalkwarf

I wish to implement a card game. The game shall be 3D and I wish to eventually animate the cards. The cards are simple - they have a front and back. The front just contains a number. The back shall eventually (later) contain an image or pattern.

I have created a Prefab of a blank card. It is just a thin, flattened cube. My problem is that I cannot figure out how to add a number (text) to the card. Some research seems to indicate that a TextMesh is the best solution. I have tried to follow the suggestions in those posts, but they do not contain enough detail for me (beginner).

How do I 'attach' a TextMeshPro to the Prefab? Right-click on the prefab in the Hierarchy and choose TextMeshPro to make the mesh a child of my card? I did that but do not understand how to place it on a face of my card/cube. I also tried creating a TextMeshPro and drag/dropping it on my card, but I have much the same problem (now what?).

I think I know how to use a script to assign a number to an instance of a card, so I do not believe I need help with that. I just need help in getting some kind of text displayed on my card - don't care if it is static. Once I get that I think I can figure out the rest. BTW, the cards are created in GameManager.Start, but I do not think that is relevant.

2. ippdev

ippdev

Use the Add Component dropdown at the bottom of the Game Object Inspector window.

You are probably better making two flat plane meshes back to back as a single card and map images via a material onto both sides. You can also make the mesh have a grid of polys so it can be bendy using deformers.

First though..Read the manual front to back a few times. Look up what you do not know using a search engine. Do one process at a time and understand what you did or why it won't work before implementing the next process.You will learn.

Ryiah likes this.