Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Question How to Attach Skeletal Mesh to Murtaza's 3D Hand ?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by JonDoe86912, Mar 19, 2024.

1. JonDoe86912

JonDoe86912

Hello everyone,

I'm a rookie at Unity so I was hoping you could help me.
    I'm adapting the Python-2-Unity through UDP Murtaza's code to run a 3D hand tracking program on unity but, if Murtaza's code rings any bells, my current Unity hand exoskeleton is very "skeletal" for lack of a better word.

I would like to add a skeletal mesh on top of it, such that the hand would be more realistic.

Throughout my research I found one youtube video -
    - that managed the realistic hand, but no code with it (even though you can see a snippet of it on the top left corner).

Moreover, I found this repo - https://github.com/imadeddinedjekoune/Hand-Detection-3D - with the 3D mesh but no instructions on how to setup the Unity environment. In fact, through this repo there is a RightHand_CV.fbx which is a blender-made hand with a rig.

However, Murtaza's OpenCV approach is a "pseudo-rig" since he maps spheres and lines to a hand through the UDP data.

I tried to copy the repo's approach to Murtaza's Unity environment, as in I copied the Empty game Objects of the Rig of the RightHand_CV to the HandPoints inside the Manager GameObject (as you can see here in the video Murtaza copied the spheres -
    to the Manager environment) and was not sucessful as I was expecting because, at least in the blender rig, each "finger bone" is a Father Game Object to the following "Finger Bone", whlist in Murtaza's code Sphere 1 is independent from Sphere 2.

Could any of you share some wisdom?

Thank you in advance