Search Unity

How to apply for a programming job??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Code_Of_Honour, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

So I was just browsing technically orientated jobs on a local job board, and I found a posting for a game programmer, and it turns out that the studio that is hiring uses Unity! Now I live in the middle of friggin nowhere, game development wise, so I was quite surprised to find a game developer hiring, let alone one that uses Unity.

Now I would really like to quit my crappy retail job, and I think I fit the hiring criteria pretty well, so I'm going to give this a shot. However, I've never applied for a programming job before, so I'm kind of at a loss on how to go about it. I was hoping some of you more experienced developers could help me out here. So, without further ado, some questions.

-The job posting says to contact them via a provided email address. Should the first e-mail be a full pitch with resume attached and everything, or just a simple message outlining my interest and best qualifications?

-How should I provide my resume? Should I give it in person to make a better impression, or e-mail it to them? Or should I ask them which they would prefer?

-How on earth do I actually create a programming resume? I've done resumes before, but this is a whole different ball game. Do I provide sample code? For demonstrating games I have previously created, do I provide source code, or just the game itself? If the former, should I provide all of it, or just the best/most relevant bits?

-This may sound weird, but if I do get an interview, how should I dress?? Like would a xkcd t-shirt make a better impression than a dress shirt? I don't want to come across as a stiff guy with no personality, but at the same time I don't want to make them think I have no work ethic/professionalism.

Oh, and one more thing: I'm a student. I don't have a CS degree(yet), but having spent almost all of my spare time over the past 3 years programming, I think I can safely say I'm fairly good at it. That being said, I'm looking to make more of a "Here's a bunch of awesome games I made entirely by myself" impression than an "I spent 4 years in school and got a fancy piece of paper" impression.

Sorry for the long post, but I really want to get this right if I can. Thanks!

2. Magico

Magico

1. Email them your resume!
    Don't you come into my office with your awesomeness when I'm in the middle of an important deal with Sony entertainment.

2. Email them your resume!
    Unless you are super sexy hot 20 years old girl, then you can give to me in person to impress me.

3. Google how to make a resume. (sometimes it is nice to include your photo)
    First we look for previous game related experience, finished titles < read again, not some work in progress crap!
    So show the very best, eye catching stuff BECAUSE WE HAVE 278 more resumes to go through!

4.Dress casually , don't you show your smart @ss in a suit! It always give an impression "Oh, another green graduate came"

3. Magico

Magico

Convince me that you are the right guy!
    You will work like a slave for me, you are the right choice for investing my money in you.
    I can make more money on you then on other 327 people (add India + China to that) lining up.

Welcome to the real life.

4. dxcam1

dxcam1

Just walk in there like you already got the job and start working.

But really, just include your knowledge and briefly go over previous projects in your resume, from what I've seen it's not common to include code example in a resume.

5. BIG-BUG

BIG-BUG

As the job posting requested an application via email, this is probably their preferred way of contact.
    A programming resume is not much different to any other. Do you have any published projects (e.g. in the app store)? Did you participate in any "professional" projects or at least in a school project which has been completed? Go with a brief description of your best stuff only. Do not show any source code but you could provide a link to your game.
    Only show your best quality stuff which has been published. It's all about quality, not quantity. Nobody cares about great algorithms on your disc if those are not part of a completed and published project.
    It does not matter which job you are applying for, wearing a t-shirt for a job interview is always a bad choice. A tie on the other hand would be overdressed.

6. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Treat the interview like an educational experience . Understand that even if your not offered a job , you still gained from the interview .

NOTE : Everytime i've expected to get a job , I haven't gotten it . When I think I wont get the job , I get it ...