Search Unity

How to apply backward force (deacceleration) on rolling sphere

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by unikum, Mar 23, 2011.

1. unikum

unikum

Since the sphere is rolling, I can't use vector.back as I understand it.

Can I figure out the direction the sphere is going and apply a force in the opposite direction? The sphere is rolling around in all possible direction on uneven terrain.

2. Darloc

Darloc

you could just increase the drag on the rigedbody

3. unikum

unikum

I've been experimenting with drag, but can't get it to behave like I want to. The force added has to be a constant force (depending on slope angle). Like 0.02 in the opposite direction that it is traveling. It's the rolling friction force that I'm trying to add to it. I have the force for the ball calculated when it's rolling around, I just need to know how I can apply it in the opposite direction that it is traveling.

I'm really bad at this stuff. If I have the last position and the current position, don't I know what direction it is traveling? If so, how do I use it to apply a force in the other direction?

4. niosop2

niosop2

Angular drag is pretty much the rolling friction. Normal friction has almost no effect because the contact areas are so small.

5. unikum

unikum

But since I have the correct rolling friction calculated, isn't it better to apply that than using angular drag that is only "pretty much rolling friction"? I'm doing a simulation of a golf ball, so it has to behave correctly.

6. unikum

unikum

7. unikum

unikum

Aaaargh, I can't get this to work.

If I use Angular drag, I can't make it stop in slopes above a certain angle. Doesn't matter how high the angular drag and normal drag is set to. It just moves very slowly in a constant speed. If the slop simulates a slope with high grass, the ball should stop even if the slope is pretty steep.

And when I try to apply a force backward it always end up going back and forward, I can't find the exact force needed to completely stop the object (like in hovering air, where you can just add negative mass * gravity).

Anyone know how to solve this? I'm going crazy trying to fix this...

Or is there a way to cheat to get this to work (I'm that desperate) so that I can force the ball to sleep when moving slowly? Problem is that I can't set it to sleep just based on velocity since it might roll up a very steep hill, come to a stop more or less, and then roll down again. It should only stop if it has been moving slowly for a certain time I guess, would I set a timer to trigger this? This seems messy.