Search Unity

How to answer the App Store's App Privacy Data Collection questions?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by yyylny, Nov 29, 2020.

1. yyylny

yyylny

Apple's App Store is asking what kind of data I intend to collect from my users and how, but since Unity Analytics does all the work behind the scenes, I don't know how to answer. I've found some of the answers in Unity's Privacy Policy page but I really need Unity's team to help me out with the following:

1. Does Unity Analytics link the data it collects to the user's identity as described in the following screenshot?

2. Does Unity Analytics collect Performance Data (such as: launch time, hang rate or energy use)? Should I also check "Other Diagnostics Data"?

Any other information that can help Unity developers give all the right answers to Apple can really help.

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

3. yyylny

yyylny

Yes, it help - thanks! But only regarding data collected by Unity Ads. I also need data regarding Analytics and Cloud Diagnostics.

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

We are working on that.

vocab_victor likes this.
  5. mtpabis

mtpabis

Hello, any updates on this?

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Firemaw, yyylny and mtpabis like this.
  7. mtpabis

mtpabis

8. yyylny

yyylny

9. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I don't believe we have that documented yet. Are you using Cloud Diagnostics? If not, then you should be OK.

10. yyylny

yyylny

Yes, I use Cloud Diagnostics in order to get crash reports from users. I hope you can write a document about it too.

11. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

In the meantime, I would suggest that you submit with and without the service enabled.

yyylny likes this.
  12. KoalityGame

KoalityGame

What should the answer be for the third question below? I'm not sure if it is referring to Unity or the developer.

Attached Files:

13. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

KoalityGame likes this.
  14. KoalityGame

KoalityGame

15. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Not unless you explicitly send it to us.

KoalityGame likes this.
  16. UNSH

UNSH

I understand you're not a part of Unity diagnostics but I turn to this thread seeing there is still no information on this, diagnostics is rumoured to be discontinued and its forum appears devoid of support. We published now without user tracking enabled (Crash Data, Performance Data & Other Diagnostic Data) for Unity Diagnostics based on this conversation could you confirm this is correct?

So to be crystal clear all diagnostics fields only contain.
    • Used for Analytics, and App Functionality
    • Linked to the user's identity

17. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

If you've disabled the services, no data should be sent. To confirm exactly what is being sent, use Charles Proxy.

18. seloran

seloran

19. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

thanks Jeff, I added the stuff mentioned there but after that I get a second and third layer of questions regarding how those are being used - any advice on how to answer them?
    BTW I use UnityAds, unity IAP, chartboost, applovin for most apps
    thanks in advance!

itunesQuestions.png

20. yyylny

yyylny

You can find the answers to all of those questions in here: http://documentation.cloud.unity3d.com/en/collections/2654776-apple-privacy-surveys
    Just select the service you're using and look at the tables.

JeffDUnity3D likes this.
  21. leo_mexico

leo_mexico

It's difficult to know how to answer the question even if you didn't use analytics or ads.

I have submitted my first app version in end of 2019, with Unity 2019.3
    I don't use Ads, Analytics, cloud diagnostic and I never activate them BUT I let the package manager by default has it come where I noticed the presence of Analytics and Ads package recently when my first version was rejected from google.
    Running Charles Proxy I see traffic to Unity.cloud for this first version.
    Running Charles on the new version made with Unity 2020.3, don't show network traffic.
    So, How can I answer the App Store's App Privacy Data Collection questions? I need to answer for the first version with traffics.
    If I let the package manager has it come, does it mean that I'm using Analytics even if I don't explicitly send nothing?
    What data are sent?

22. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You will want to submit your new version that is not sending data, not the first version that is. If you are not sending anything, then you are not using Analytics or Ads.

23. leo_mexico

leo_mexico

Of course, and this new version is in review process.
    But I have to answer the questions about the previous version who is in the store from 1 year and half (Apple specifically ask for the current version, no the for the updated), which is sending things to Unity.cloud.
    So, do I have to follow this link http://documentation.cloud.unity3d.com/en/collections/2654776-apple-privacy-surveys
    And considering me as user of analytics and Ads even if I didn't use it and explicitly sending things in my code?

24. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

If you have enabled Analytics, then it is sending the default events even if you are not explicitly sending anything. You can confirm by using Charles Proxy as mentioned previously

25. leo_mexico

leo_mexico

No, sorry, to be clear I never enabled Analytics, but I noticed that is present in the package manager by default, in my first project of 2019.
    Running Charles Proxy I see traffics.
    -> Does that mean that I'm an Analytics user anyway? So, if yes, Does that mean that I have to follow the information of the linked page to answer the Apple privacy questions?
    And what about Unity Ads, Does that mean that I'm also an Unity Ads user?
    I have to answer the Apple question, and what I'm seeing in Charles output is just traffic to Unity.Cloud and I don't know for nothing what is occurring there but I want to clarify that on my privacy page and with Apple.

26. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Sorry I don't know what "Unity.Cloud" is. If you installed IAP, that also turns on Analytics. If you don't want Unity Ads in your project, you'll want to remove the package. It is not installed by default. But to be clear, you'll want to ensure to capture a full and unencrypted Charles Proxy capture and look for any requests sent to Unity servers, and inspect the Request and Response which should be in clear text if you followed the directions here https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002917683-Using-Charles-Proxy-with-Unity

27. leo_mexico

leo_mexico

Ok, I'm run in more and more issues.
    - I have removed the first version from the store from few hours and don't figure how to download it again.
    -> Can't show you a Charles Proxy capture until I found an .ipa or a version of the first version to build it.
    - You are right, the packages don't come by default, I just click "Reset Packages by default" in Unity then they disappear, it's very stupid.
    -> So they are 3 packages :
    - Advertisement
    - Analytics Library
    - In App Purchasing
    -> this is signifying that I'm using the three and report all their sections from the link?

28. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Don't worry about the version in the store. Quickly replace it with your updated version. Ensure to make a Charles capture with your new version. If you don't have ads or sell any IAP products in your game, then remove all the packages.

29. leo_mexico

leo_mexico

Yes, by the way, if I only care about the new version, nothing is monitored in "Charles", I have no activity, and It was well submitted without the three packages, I putted the info relative to this version without worrying about the old one.
    And thank you, to be honest it scared me a little.

30. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

ADs isn't installed by default, but Analytics was, at least some versions ago.

In fact it was even occasionally added to projects that did not have it as they were moved to newer Unity versions.

31. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Yes, we are changing that with current Unity releases. Analytics is off by default.

AcidArrow likes this.
  32. leo_mexico

leo_mexico

Hello,

I have test Charles proxy on my first project, it show two communications:
    https://cdp.cloud.unity3d.com/ -> 3 times /v1/events
    -> in request
    "common":{ "appid:" "userid:" "sessionid:" ... "device:"}
    "type":"analytics.appStart.v1",..."t_since_start:"}
    -> in response
    it's blank, nothing

https://config.uca.cloud.unity3d.com/
    -> in request -> the same
    -> in response -> "analytics": enabled:true etc.... all are configured "limit user tracking" : "false" "on" performance
    I imagine that are the default parameters

The project was made with Unity 2018.3.2f1 (I finally find the project in my previous laptop) -> in package manager only Analytics 3.2.2 in italic is included - I don't remember to have install it but is there.
    no iap package - no ads package.

Can I clear the data who are sent by this version?
    I was on dashboard to see if I can clear the datas but my project is not listed

33. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Your dashboard should be here https://analytics.cloud.unity3d.com/data_explorer/[ProjectID goes here without the brackets] . It should match the appid in the request you mentioned

34. leo_mexico

leo_mexico

mmh..
    it's says "Project not found"
    I've intended with only the number then with local.theAppidWithoutBrackets as it is present in the request but it's the same result

35. leo_mexico

leo_mexico

ok,
    In another thread I see that:
    And it's true, in my project service are not active, it ask me for a project ID but I never want to have services so I never do it.

So, what this mean for the data sent by my app, as seen in Charles?
    They go nowhere? this signify that nothing is collected, so nothing to erase?

36. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Can you attach your Charles Capture here? You'll want to confirm with Charles Proxy. You should not see any data sent if you have not enabled any services.

37. leo_mexico

leo_mexico

CharlesCapture.png CharlesCapture-cup.cloud.unity3d.png

38. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

39. leo_mexico

leo_mexico

Ok, good to know.
    All the personal datas are anonymized? -> Is this mean that no way / no matter to erase them?

Yes and I find from where it is enabled -> the "disable HW statistics" checkbox, unchecked in the original project v2018.32f1 -> this checkbox is not present in my update project v.2020.3.11f1.

I have triple checked with a new project to better understand and no matter if analytics packages are present or not - ID project not registered- the hardware stats will enable all without enabling service -> that's why I don't have access to the data in dashboard to erase them -> it sent only a local project ID.

40. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

If it's sending only a local projectID then we aren't storing anything. I would be interested to see if you can reproduce this behavior. How is is using a local projectID? Did you set that? Can you reproduce with a new/empty project? Hardware stats was removed quite some time ago. Not enabling Analytics does the same thing now.

41. leo_mexico

leo_mexico

I have made my little investigation justly (that was for understanding better), with a blank created project(1), then 2 combinations(2 &3) as bellow:
    1 - project by default -> " disable HW statistics " unchecked - Analytics, IAP and Ads package present ADS - ID project not registered - no services
    RESULT : Analytics enabled etc... the same request as I described

2 - project by default - " disable HW statistics " Checked - Analytics, IAP and Ads package present - ID project not registered - no services
    RESULT : Nothing

3 - project by default - " disable HW statistics " Unchecked - Analytics, IAP and Ads package REMOVED - ID project not registered - no services
    RESULT : The same as 1 -> Analytics enabled etc... and the requests

42. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Disable HW stats was removed in 2019.3 and would not be present in 2020.3. Analytics has always been on by default, perhaps this is what you are seeing. New Unity releases will now have Analytics off by default.

43. leo_mexico

leo_mexico

44. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

So with Analytics on by default, but with no Unity ProjectID, it appears to generate the local.ID values for the appID. Although events appear to still be sent over the wire, we are not storing them at our end. As mentioned, Analytics is off in recent releases which addresses the issue. In your case, you may try explicitly toggling the Service to On, saving and exiting Unity, then loading the project and turning the Service off and optionally removing the Analytics library from Package Manager

45. leo_mexico

leo_mexico

Yes, the test where made with the Unity 2018.3.2f1 version, which I build the first version of my App.
    For the updated version, I think I have all well checked and it's was made with the 2020.3 version -> no activity is monitored in Charles -> I have also customized the deviceSettings.mm in the Xcode project for resulting NULL to ID request, even if I checked that is what not necessary (-> is there the same things doable for the android version?)

My preoccupation about this first version is because my client is asking his lawyer to check my new self-made privacy policy (he have made it for the first version of the app with a generator, it can't apply for a kid targeted app today - rejected)
    And I need to understand what I've made on the first version that have cause the first version rejection from google, to not reproduce and to know what happened.

46. leo_mexico

leo_mexico

Ok, thank you, you are perfectly answering my differents questions and preoccupations.

I think I have made the project during some changes in the Unity versions and privacies laws (GRDP -COPPA) that's I didn't sufficiently care, I supposed that the approbation on the two stores iOs and Google could be a sufficient filter to comply.

47. krupps

krupps

@JeffDUnity3D Can y'all update the questions link. Apple has changed the questions.

48. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Yep, the moving target that I mentioned! Can you be more specific?

49. KoalityGame

KoalityGame

Can I get answers for these questions below (from Google Play Console)? It is asked for all applicable Data Types. I'm using Unity IAP and Unity Analytics.

Attached Files:

50. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

The previous question was regarding Apple not Google. Please provide your Charles Proxy capture as has been mentioned previously, let's not guess what your app might be sending. Users can disable data collection by using the Data Privacy Button prefab. We are looking to improve this experience with the next version of Unity Analytics, you can join the beta here. Granted this does not answer your direct questions, I don't have specific answers personally https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/articles/4408915768724-General-FAQ