Search Unity

Question how to animate noise node?

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by zeropointblack, Nov 29, 2020.

1. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

i cant find a way to modulate the noise node. only the veronie node, which i find to be quite ugly and not useful at all. EDIT: also, i cant seem to find the fractal noise, or a level of detail setting in the noise node. is my shader graph missing content?

SO YEAH... anyone found a way to hack the system to get a noise map phase modulation? every program ive ever used in my entire life has a simple slider to animate the phase modulation of their noise maps. so i must be really missing it here. someone please help,

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Have you tried simple noise?
    You probably could combine with some color offset and color replace, to eliminate certain shades.

3. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

what. shades? is this a real answer? you mean you dont know off the bat if simple noise has a modulation phase control? because, it doesnt. I also have no idea what eliminating shades could help me with. feel free to elaborate. if its more complicated or time wasting than pushing a single slider on a standard noise node, ill have to pass.

so in conclusion, the procedural noise nodes are basically worthless. but the sine wave noise flickers at me. cool.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  4. Olmi

Olmi

@zeropointblack just animate the UV coordinates or other inputs for the noise. If you think that getting that noise to animate without a built-in option is too complicated, it might not be a good idea to try create shaders by yourself.

5. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

yeah.... thanks. what a good idea. it's funny you think sliding around the UV coordinates is the same as animating the actual noise map generation. perhaps you need to do some more research yourself.

6. Olmi

Olmi

@zeropointblack You can combine a few noises to create a more complex, animating noise pattern. Not many of the nodes produce interesting or usable results by themselves. Shader Graph nodes are quite simple components and dropping one on the canvas can't be expected to produce something complex. Perhaps you have understood the concept slightly wrong.

Read the manual:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.shadergraph@6.9/manual/Getting-Started.html

If you are not satisfied how the noise nodes work, you can always write your own noise using a Custom Function Node:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.shadergraph@6.9/manual/Custom-Function-Node.html

And yes, I have done some research into this topic. You can drop that attitude, it will not help you to get help here.

7. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

I dont have time to write a noise function right now, but thank you for pointing me in that direction.

the main thing to take from this is that, yes, as you have said as well, is that the unity noise nodes suck and are a joke compared to anything in any other 3D app decades past.