Search Unity

How to Animate Diablo 2 Style Sprite Sheet?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by schkorpio, Apr 15, 2015.

1. schkorpio

schkorpio

Hi All,
    New to Unity, and loving it so far!

I'm attempting to make a game similar to Diablo 2 - a 2D isometric world with sprite based characters.

I would like to ask what would be the best way to animate the the 2D sprite hero character.

I have a sprite sheet which has idle, walk, attack frames (which I've turned into separate animations). So now there are idle, walk, attack animations for 8 different directions.

Using the animator controller, I was able to use triggers to make my character face all 8 directions depending on the angle the character is moving.

TL:DR
    I'm uncertain on what is the best way to transition between idle,walk, attack animations while keeping the character facing the right way (using the correct animation for the that direction).

Is this possible to do in the Animator Controller? If so, how? Using a really big animation tree of loads of different branches and connection?

Using animation overrides?

Script driven?

I'm all ears :)

Thanks!

2. schkorpio

schkorpio

Ok, so with some more forum searching, I think a Blend Tree is the way to go. Thx

3. glowe

glowe

Hi, I noticed a while ago there wasn't anything that addressed this kind of thing in Unity. Me and friend of mine came up with an asset to do this if you're still looking for a solution. You can use it rig up any 3D looking sprite based characters. The asset is called:SpriteMan 3D. Let us know what you think if it looks interesting.