Search Unity

How to allow a class to accept all derived classes of another class?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Cavlon, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Cavlon

Cavlon

I am making an enemy script which uses a state machine based on classes, I have made a State class which all the different states are derived from and each of these classes require an EnemyController class for its variables and methods. I have also made 3 different enemy classes which derive from the EnemyController class but these cannot be input into the states. I also cannot input any public or [Serializable Field] variables into the three enemy classes from the inspector.

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I think you may have confused yourself with too much going on at once.

I know you have successfully confused me at least with your description of it.

For instance, how is an enemy also a state?

Perhaps you can explain what you're actually trying to do?

3. Cavlon

Cavlon

Sorry for the confusing description, the enemy classes are not a part of the state classes, they derive from the EnemyController which is separate from the states. For my states to work, it takes a parameter of EnemyController:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public State(EnemyController enemy)
    2.     {
    3.         this.enemy = enemy;
    4.     }
    However, instead of it taking EnemyController, I want it to take either EnemyControllerA, EnemyControllerB or EnemyControllerC and work the same for each of them with each controller being slightly different for each enemy.

4. StarManta

StarManta

If EnemyControllerA, EnemyControllerB, and EnemyControllerC are derived from EnemyController (and they should be), then you can pass them in as the parameter.
    Code (csharp):
    1. public class EnemyControllerA : EnemyController {
    3. ...
    4. ...
    6. EnemyControllerA eca = gameObject.GetComponent<EnemyControllerA>();
    7. State stateA = new State(eca); //works fine with your constructor from your comment above

5. Cavlon

Cavlon

Thanks, it turns out this aspect of my code worked the entire time but the error was due to a state having variables that are not present in the main EnemyController but are in EnemyControllerA.