Search Unity

How to add to an existing DynamicBuffer through ECB?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by jwvanderbeck, Jun 16, 2020.

1. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Bit confused here. I have an entity with a DynamicBuffer on it. This buffer already contains some elements. The elements are entity references.

I want to create new entities in a job, thus I am using an ECB, and then add those new entities to the existing buffer, appending to the end.

However best I can tell, the ECB only lets me either add a new buffer to an entity that doesn't have one yet, or set a brand new empty buffer to one that does.

What am I missing here?

2. thelebaron

thelebaron

I don't think there is a way(this is something I would like to see personally). I got around it a while ago by using the ecb to create a new entity and component data with the values was adding to a buffer, and then having a separate job to process that entity and component data to add to the buffer.

3. PeppeJ2

PeppeJ2

EntityCommandBuffer.AppendToBuffer

4. PublicEnumE

PublicEnumE

I was amazed to find that this existed! And then sad to learn that EntityCommandBuffer.Concurrent doesn’t have an equivalent method. :(

I haven’t yet dug much into the ECB source. Is there an obvious reason why something like this couldn’t have a Concurrent version?

5. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

What do you mean? Seems to work for me.

PublicEnumE likes this.
  6. PublicEnumE

PublicEnumE

oh excellent! I was looking at the wrong documentation. My mistake, and thank you.