Search Unity

How to add the UI to the scene in 2021? None of the options shown on tutorials exist.

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by altepTest, Jun 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. altepTest

altepTest

Where is this Panel Renderer?

I have only (Panel Event Handler) and (Panel Raycaster)

2. HugoBD-Unity

HugoBD-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @dorusoftware !

To clarify, are you talking about uGUI or UI Toolkit. UI Toolkit is the new UI framework to make UI in unity. This new framework is still in development, but it has been released for runtime UI in 2021.2.

3. altepTest

altepTest

Sorry, don't get upset, I've saw your reply after I've created this thread.

You know, it takes some time to write and post.

Then I saw your reply. Not sure why I perceive you a bit negative here. If is someone that should have reasons to be upset is me because I've lost the entire day trying to understand how this system works and then I find out that it may be yet another half baked feature that will probably work in the 2022 version.

Not the first feature and not the last.

My issue is that I've wrongly believed that if someone announces something means we can use it. Not that is something that will be ready years after.

I will download the newest version of 2021 we see if the script is included. I will also try to install that package maybe it will work with this version.

Do you actually have the new UI, do you have this script installed? "Panel Renderer"?

4. altepTest

altepTest

so is only in the beta? because in unity hub the 2021.2 is marked as beta.

Anyway downloading now, 2012.1.12f1

I've seen this feature in videos from 2019.

This is another feature that will actually work in 2022? We are near the end of the cycle for 2021 anyway

5. altepTest

altepTest

2012.1.12f1 still doesn't have the scripts but I've managed to add it manually as suggested by Lurking-Ninja this time it worked.

thank you for the answers, I will play with this module, but optimistically this could probably be ready for the end of this year in the 2021 LTS or when 2022 become stable enough to be used

6. I am not upset. I am just not friendly with people who are wasting other people's time on the forum with blatant disregard towards other people and the forum rules. Do not duplicate your posts/questions is one of those rules. Do not post repeatedly but add to your previous one is another. If you haven't read it yet:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-community-code-of-conduct.743180/
    You could avoid all this if you read the initial post of this feature here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/ui-toolkit-1-0-preview-available.927822/
    I think I didn't tell you anything what wasn't in this post.
    No comment. If you don't understand what experimental and/or beta means, I can't help you.
    Please point me where they announced that the runtime feature is ready for production? Because I think I missed that announcement.

7. altepTest

altepTest

Ok you are definitely not friendly and someone should tell you this.

You have jumped to conclusions too fast. I did not ignored your reply in the other thread, I didn't see it, while oyu have posted there I was creating a separate question because that thread was maybe not the correct place to post the issue I've had.

As of what I should read first this is relative, I've watched unity videos that takes hours, those conference from 2019. I also read the package online help which explained everything except how to add it to the game. Which was strange for me at the time but is clear why now.

Everyone finds stuff differently, I've stumbled upon a video on youtube about this and since I need an UI I was quite happy and hopeful that there is an improvement on this area. Because there is nothing more annoying than UIs

Because we are in 2021 I've wrongly assumed this feature may be ready or in preview stage. The video where from 2019.

Then the editor was included in unity and opened correctly
    So I've started using it, then tried to add the UI to the scene but the modules the people from the tutorials showed where not there.

All google search results say that this is included in the 2021 version. ecc.

I'm using unity for some years now and this is a new thing for me, having a feature included but not working because it is missing a part of it.

Not making any sense.

Unity should had left this in preview stage till was ready. How can I know to download the UI toolkit package assets when the UI toolkit is in the editor and opens with no issues?

Especially when the package to download doesn't appear in search and needs to be downloaded manually.

Finally because this just got a bit out of scope, I stand behind what I'm saying, there is no hate or anything against it. The reality is that some of the new features unity implements as released may not actually be ready. Take the Hair Shader for example, it doesn't actually work out of the box. it looks bad.

Find me one decent screen that have the hair shader looking good.

I've had to learn a lot of stuff I didn't wanted to learn about shaders, and math, and the rest, to make it look like it looks in unreal. And still, i don't have the one click physics animation they have there.

Now I know more about a lot of stuff but the game is still not ready :( since instead of working on the game I've had to understand how to fix the hair.

So my fear is that I invest time in this new UI and then find out a few weeks later that is missing some important stuff that is essential and who knows when it will be released or if it will ever be released.

Is why I'm saying that realistically this UI may work fine in the next unity version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.