Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

How to add more than 4 Point Lights on the HDPipeline?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by DanielGuirelli, May 29, 2018.

1. DanielGuirelli

DanielGuirelli

Hi, I'm new to the HDPipeline, and been having some troubles with point lights. If I add more than 4 the shadows only work properly for 4 of them, the other lights the shadows are screwed up.

Is there a way to increase the amount of Point lights you have on the scene like the older versions of unity?

Thank you.

2. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

Have a look at this message : https://forum.unity.com/threads/hd-pipeline-limited-shadows.530315/#post-3507240

You can have up to 6 point lights with shadows, if they are set to realtime. If they are set to mixed mode and overlap, they are limited to 4 realtime shadow, and the rest fallback to baked (because there is a limit of 4 baked shadowmasks overlap), so they won't lit non static objects. This is maybe what you are seeing.

3. DanielGuirelli

DanielGuirelli

I see, I wish in later versions there's a way to change that amount. Thank you for the answer.

4. uy3d

uy3d

Unity Technologies

There will be for realtime lights. Shadowmasked mixed lights will stay capped at four as we're using a texture and encode each light into one of the available RGBA channels.

5. jjejj87

jjejj87

uy3d, I am slightly confused with the numbers, when we say 4 or 6, are we talking about 4 lights that can be overlapped or 4 lights total in one given scene?

6. uy3d

uy3d

Unity Technologies

There are two rules you need to be aware of:

4 overlapping mixed lights in the case of shadowmasks, as explained here:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LightMode-Mixed-Shadowmask.html

6 shadowed visible lights on screen mixed/realtime. You can set all your realtime lights to shadowed in the scene, but the engine will only provide up to 6 of them with shadows. Which 6 are chosen is decided on a per frame basis.

7. elbows

elbows

I've just been looking at the stuff thats been added on github in the last few days, and I see 'Expose shadow budget parameter in HDRP' which I believe is this, coming to life before our eyes :)

8. elbows

elbows

This is indeed in the 2.0.4 version that is available in the package manager. Settings added to the shadow section of HD Render Pipeline Asset.

ShadowBudget.png