Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

How to add image effects within unity 2018 HDRP

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Justin_Wingfall, May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

When i make a new 3D project, I'm able to add image effects like beatify, PRISM, etc..... to camera and everything works fine. But when I make a project thats HDRP, once I add image effect to camera nothing happens.Really Need help. thank you

2. N1warhead

N1warhead

Welcome to the scriptable render pipeline, where an effect now has to be created for 3 different render pipelines or it may or may not work on the one your using.

chingwa likes this.
  3. N1warhead

N1warhead

Try making a blank project with just a core render pipeline I believe is called and see if it works because if it works then you know the issue

4. chingwa

chingwa

Yup. It's going to cause a lot of pain for a lot of people. It seems like they should be able to engineer this better.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  5. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

damn so basically alot of us you S*** out of luck. just wow

I was like this is great, performance is great, shaders look great. hmm lets me throw on Madgoat anti alisting. Then......NOPE. DENIED.

6. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

Im still trying to figure out a way to get it working but nothing. Can someone from unity confirm this????

7. Ostwind

Ostwind

HDRP is still in preview with stuff missing and unsupported and even then it will require some adjustments to assets. There are already threads about them in beta archive plus the other forum sections.

Best to stay away from it until it's final.

Thrawn75, Ryiah and hopeful like this.
  8. hopeful

hopeful

To add to the above ... HDRP is expected to be in beta / preview / experimental state until the end of 2018. Treat it like a toy, don't try to develop with it.

Use the standard Unity pipeline for 2018. The LW pipeline is expected to be production ready long before the HD one, because the focus is on LW first. So publishing with LW is likely in 2018, but not with HD. You'll have to wait till 2019 for a stable version of HD, especially if you need asset store plugins to be compatible.

Ryiah likes this.
  9. N1warhead

N1warhead

But that begs the question, why release it in a real release if it’s not yet ready? Beta is one thing, but the actual release is another.

10. chingwa

chingwa

For the pretty pictures and marketing. They needed a big "feature" for the initial 2018 release, who cares if it isn't ready for prime time yet? o_O

11. Murgilod

Murgilod

Pshaw, Unity would never do something like that.

*slowly turns to stare at the state Enlighten was in for the longest time*

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

For anyone who wants to have a headstart learning how to work with the SRP. Letting the community have their way with it is also an excellent way to discover bugs that may have otherwise slipped through an internal Q&A.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  13. hopeful

hopeful

So that people can play with it and offer feedback, including studio devs and the people who make plugins for the UAS.

Each Unity version for the year will have new and upgraded features for HD. They're aiming at having HDRP done by New Years ... or at least that's the plan.

14. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

IMO that what (dedicated)beta is for. Putting beta features in a supposedly stable release is really just marketing.

15. N1warhead

N1warhead

@Ryiah & @hopeful

That's my point though, why would they put it in an official release rather than a dedicated version (Beta) or whatever?
    Like first thing I did after 2018.1 - tried to make my dinosaur hunting game. And one big problem - Terrain doesn't work for it (HDRP).

And for the issue the OP is saying.

There's nothing wrong with releasing beta versions of it, but why on an official 2018.1.f1 release when it isn't even out of testing stages. At the very least, the thing should be downloadable via the package manager, not just built into the engine as an incomplete product.

Don't take me wrong, I love the things Unity does, I just don't understand why release it so soon in an official 'f1' release when it's still broken.

16. hopeful

hopeful

That would be something to ask Unity, but I imagine the answer is that they didn't want it to be a low profile thing that sits on GitHub forever with hardly anybody using it or reporting back on it.

17. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

its a shame because HDRP looks great and performance its outstanding. But the one just one damn thing, the way its engineered is weird..I dont know if the post processing is rejecting or hogging works of any other image effects added to the camera or not.

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

For SRP post effects they need to play ball and be a good citizen. My own post FX works fine and uses this: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/PostProcessing/wiki/Writing-Custom-Effects

Old effects will need to be updated. Contact the relevant author. SRP's design is correct. I have written and ported my own post effects to it in 10 mins.

SRP requires new code. Compatibility is the responsibility of the author of the post effect. If SRP worked like builtin, it would be having the same problems as builtin.

There is no logic in that, so get them to update.

fleity, cecarlsen and hopeful like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.