Search Unity

How to add controls and the player camera to the game

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by LadyLemon, Feb 18, 2015.

1. LadyLemon

LadyLemon

The name says it all. I need help with adding controls to the games, and I have the camera set up but if I play it will the camera move and not the character?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I don't believe this is a game design question, unless you're unsure of how you want it to work, from the player's point of view.

But if you're asking how to implement it, then please ask in the Scripting forum. (Even if something like this can actually be accomplished without any custom scripting, that's still a decent place to start with implementation questions, as the answers will usually end up involving scripting at some level.)

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  3. LadyLemon

LadyLemon

That... doesnt help but okay thanks

4. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Not to gang up...but he's right. I hope that link clears up some of your confusion. I requested a thread move so that you can get the answers you're looking for more quickly, too.

To help speed things along for you, no, the camera usually does not move unless you tell it to. You'll have to do some scripting to get that to happen. There's all sorts of ways to make that happen, but the way that you should settle on depends on how you've designed the game.

What sort of game are you trying to make?

5. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

(Moved to the Getting Started forum)

JoeStrout likes this.
  6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Thanks, @superpig. I keep forgetting there is a Getting Started forum, which is egg on my face!

So... @LadyLemon, can you explain in more detail what you've done, what happens now when you play, and how this differs from what you want to happen? We'd love to help, but we need more detail!

Best,
    - Joe

AndrewGrayGames likes this.