Search Unity

Official How to add a launch-screen storyboard for iOS in Unity - App Store requirement by June 30, 2020

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by JC-Cimetiere, Mar 18, 2020.

1. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

FYI, I submitted an update in early December 2020 with no storyboard or splash screen whatsoever and Apple approved it just fine. I don't think they're enforcing this yet.

ROBYER1 and breban1 like this.
  2. JokeMaker

JokeMaker

We use storyboard for LaunchScreen. But something seems weird. It shows my launch image for just a while and then go into black, after a while my first scene comes.

3. tessellation

tessellation

You may need to add a small scene that loads quickly to display a title before your larger, asset-rich scene loads.

4. HulloImJay

HulloImJay

@JC-Cimetiere this is a great post. Very detailed instructions, and now I have myself a custom storyboard launch screen!

I would like to suggest that this information be linked from the Unity documentation: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PlayerSettingsiOS-SplashImage.html

Seems like crucial information for anyone building for iOS these days, and having to filter through Google to find this forum post is kinda painful. The documentation as-is does not provide nearly enough information on this for those of us not coming from native iOS development.

Moonjump likes this.
  5. pistoleta

pistoleta

@JC-Cimetiere would it be possible to restore the images of the post ? Im having trouble with the storyboard.
    Thanks in advance.

This is my Storyboard:

If I check 'Use as launch screen' : I get this error that later pops up in the XCodeBuild.

If I left it unchecked I get this in the Unity build:

So what's the correct setup? Unity tells me to enable it but Xcode tells me to disable it.
    Im using Unity 2020.3.8 on macOS Big Sur

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
    newguy123 likes this.
  6. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi Everyone,

I've recently just managed my first iOS test flight (without MacOS) when someone made me aware of the new storyboard requirement.

I understand they're designable in XCode, but is anyone aware of an iOS app where it's possible to design and export storyboard files please?

7. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi @JC-Cimetiere,

I'm building the iOS version of my game (developing on Windows) and have managed to work around certain aspects of the process by using things like UCB and borrowing a Mac to provision on.

But I appear to have hit a brick wall with the mandatory storyboard support and would be very grateful if you could help with some (hopefully) simple questions please.

My iOS splash settings are as per the attached image.

1) When using the Default splash screen type, does Unity automatically generate its own storyboard file using the logos defined? (therefore meeting app store criteria)

2) If not, will it ever? (given that a storyboard appears to be XML based and is probably fairly easy to generate from a template)

3) If not, I'm guessing I will need to obtain one (somehow) to just show my brand image then the Unity logo will show after?

Any help would be much appreciated as the Unity documentation isn't very clear on how it works.

Attached Files:

8. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Update...

So if I build an IPA file (with iPhone\iPad Launch Screen set to Default) and inspect it, I see nib files but no storyboard.

So I'm guessing the answer to the above question (1) is no. It does not generate its own storyboard file(s) therefore will fail certification.

Is anyone able to confirm please? Or shed some light on this?

9. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

what unity version are you using?

10. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

The IPA was built with 2020.3.17f1 using UCB.

Attached image is what I'm seeing in the file.

Attached Files:

11. pistoleta

pistoleta

Could you describe how you did it? I have same Unity version than you and tried creating how the post describes but I get an error whenever I build about the Storyboard main page not being set as launch screen...
    It all works well when I build on Xcode though..,.

12. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi @pistoleta ,

The image I posted (four messages back) is my iOS Splash config, so I'm not using storyboards. Firstly I'm trying to understand if Unity generates its own storyboard files, based on the splash settings.

If it doesn't then I'll have to obtain one somehow and build it into the project, which is where it sounds like you're having issues.

13. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi @Alexey, are you able to offer any input on this please?

If Unity does not generate a storyboard based on the splash settings, I'll have to try and source one.

14. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

i'm sorry i somehow missed your reply
    you look at "LaunchScreen-iPad.storyboardc" which is "compiled" storyboard - yes, under the hood storyboards have nibs and all that - you shouldnt look in there. Check your build folder (with generated xcode project):
    you will have LaunchScreen-iPad.storyboard in there (which is perfectly fine storyboard adhering to apple wishes).
    Unless you pick "None (deprecated)" for launch screen type we create a storyboard for you

mrwellmann and PeachyPixels like this.
  15. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Thanks for clarifying @Alexey, that's great news!

So it sounds like developers do not need to create their own storyboards (to meet Apple requirements) unless they would like to use custom versions?

I'm using UCB, hence why I was checking the IPA file rather than the Xcode project. By the sounds of it, the storyboard is compiled down\into a NIB file?

Based on the original forum posts & online help, I don't believe Unity makes it clear that it actually generates storyboard files automatically behind the scenes (for splash purposes)

The way I (and am sure others) had interpreted this was that we had to create custom storyboard to make apps compliant. Maybe this is something that should be made clearer here and in the online help.

Of course it's entirely possible I am the only one who was not understanding this :D

16. pistoleta

pistoleta

Is there any way to set the time we want the launchScreen? by default appears barely 1/2 second... We thought of replacing the splash screen by this but it would be nice at least to show the company logo at least 1 second....

Gametyme likes this.