Search Unity

How to add a EULA (end user license agreement) to my game

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by davidsirmons, Jun 10, 2014.

1. davidsirmons

davidsirmons

It's that time. My project is done, ad functionality is in, icons and splash pages are set, all is in readiness. A EULA is about the last thing to do, and I have yet to find an overview of the process on HOW to actually do it. Any experienced replies are greatly welcomed.

2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

1. Draft up a document that covers all the things you are worried about. ("End user will not reverse engineer." "End user will be over 18 when playing the game." Etc.)
    2. Send that to your company lawyer, or, if you don't have one, find one. Ask them to review the content, and make sure it's legal in the territories that you aim to ship your game to. They can probably convert your easy to read text into legalese.
    3. Include the EULA as a text file in your installer, and have the installer display it as part of the install process.

3. bonzo_

bonzo_

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I can't seem to find where this text would be located in the project. I'm at the exact same stage as OP, with the added detail that I'm developing this for Android/iOS and need the EULA to display when the app is opened for the very first time.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You're just creating a text file and copying it into wherever you want in the Assets folder like any other asset.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-TextAsset.html

5. Stefan-3DBetrieb

Stefan-3DBetrieb

Hi Graham Dunnett,
    sorry for awaking this old thread, but I didn`t understand how to add a EULA txt file.
    Where in unity I can include the text file in the installer?
    Thanks a lot...
    Stefan

6. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Unity does not provide a installer for your game.
    You have to build your own installer (there are free tools out there for that)

A a alternative option would be to Show the license at the first start before you load the game and if the user presses agree the game loads the menu / first level , if the user does not agree exit the application

Joe-Censored likes this.
  7. Stefan-3DBetrieb

Stefan-3DBetrieb

Thank you Malzbier,
    this was exactly my solution at least...
    best regards,
    Stefan