Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to achieve this blurring effect

Discussion in '2D' started by Neeko, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Neeko

Neeko

Firstly, what would you call the name of the this type of effect? Is it simply considered blurring?

And secondly, how would you go about achieving this? No idea were I would start. It looks like they are just lerping to increase the size of all pixels and lerping back to normal. Would using shaders be easiest?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. Limeoats

Limeoats

You linked a 4 hour video to show what you are talking about.
    Could you provide the time in the video where the effect you're talking about occurs?

3. Neeko

Neeko

The video should start at 24:20 when you click on it.

4. Limeoats

Limeoats

Mine started from the beginning when I clicked on it.

5. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Yah.

Anyway, this is called `de-res`, or de-resolution. There are a few ways to do it. It is not a blur.

You could do it with a rendertexture or grab to texture.... once you've got the screen stored in a texture, you have a couple of options.... you could do a custom shader which then outputs that texture (to a quad/cube covering the screen) but which modifies the texture coordinates on the fly so that multiple pixels sample the same source pixel, based on a scale factor. Another way is to instead draw the texture at a smaller size (either to the backbuffer and regrab it, or to a render texture)... and then re-draw that smaller texture covering the whole screen.

The easiest way I think is with the shader - less steps.