Search Unity

How to access RayPerceptionSensor3D data?

Discussion in 'ML-Agents' started by unity_nBMnid_GOQvclw, Mar 26, 2020.

1. unity_nBMnid_GOQvclw

unity_nBMnid_GOQvclw

Can I access RayPerceptionSensor3D data from Agent class? I want to input it into a neural network implemented on C#.

Thanks!

2. christophergoy

christophergoy

Hi @unity_nBMnid_GOQvclw,
    There isn't currently a way to get the data from the RayPerceptionComponent. But you can call Perceive directly and get the data back that way. Let me know if that covers your use case.

unity_nBMnid_GOQvclw likes this.
  3. LexVolkov

LexVolkov

And the truth is, there is no way to understand RayPerceptionComponent is working or not. There is no state tracking tool.

4. AndrewGri

AndrewGri

if I call this directly, does it guarantee that the output matches to what RayPerceptionComponent passes to learning?

5. celion_unity

celion_unity

The output is equivalent but not in exactly the same form. You'd need to take the RayPerceptionOutput that Perceive() returns, and call RayOutput.ToFloatArray() for each RayOutput in RayPerceptionOutput.rayOutputs.

6. AndrewGri

AndrewGri

thank you! But how to fill input for Perceive(RayPerceptionInput input)? Can I take it from GetComponent<RayPerceptionSensorComponent3D>();?

7. RealZST

RealZST

Hi. Do you know how to call 'Perceive' and fill the input now? I am facing the same problem. Looking forward to your reply. Thank you.

8. AndrewGri

AndrewGri

not solved yet. Will try to dive deeper on weekends. In the same time I'd ask you to share solution if you find it earlier))

9. RealZST

RealZST

I gave up and tried another way.
    In my case, I want to get the distance to the nearest obstacle to set the reward function. I gave up getting it from the RayPerceptionComponent. And use the "Physics.SphereCast" to access the data.

10. celion_unity

celion_unity

Yes, you should be able to use
    GetComponent<RayPerceptionSensorComponent3D>();
    and then use the
    GetRayPerceptionInput()
    method.

This is assuming you're using 0.15.1 (or 0.15.0). In 0.14.0, you'd have to use the PerceiveStatic() which is the same basic idea but takes a lot of arguments instead of a single input structure, and doesn't give the outputs in as nice of a format.

unity_nBMnid_GOQvclw likes this.
  11. AndrewGri

AndrewGri

Thanks for the answer. Currently I implemented my own logic based on RayCast which lets my agent learn better then RayPerceptionSensor. Probably I get back to RayPerceptionSensor when it is more usable and gives more control.