Search Unity

How to access public variables inside a StateMachineBehaviour?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Korh1, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Korh1

Korh1

Hey guys,

I'm using the Animation Controller as a Finite State Machine to organize dialogues. Each State in the machine has a public ScriptableObject attached to it containing a bunch of arrays, and I must alter these arrays from within another script.

"animator.GetCurrentAnimatorClipInfo(0).SetValue(myBoolArray[0] = true)" doesn't work. Apparently, "the call is ambiguous between params int[] and params long[]." Also, there is no AnimationClip running, so that probably wouldn't work anyway.

So...

How can I access fields inside a specific State ?

If that is not possible:

Is there a way to at least get the [string] name of the previous and/or next State from within the current one's StateMachineBehaviour script?

That could also help me solve the current problems I'm having. I know you can get their "tagHash," "fullPathHash" and other hashes, but I have no idea what to do with those numbers.

2. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

you can compare them with pre hashed string

use the following function to generate a hash from a string
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Animator.StringToHash.html

and then you can do something like
    Code (CSharp):
    2. if( animator.GetCurrentAnimatorStateInfo(0).fullPathHash == Animator.StringToHash("Base Layer.MyState"))
    3. {
    4. }
    it usually a good idea to pre hash all the string that you need on start and then simply use the hash to avoid a managed allocation while evaluating.

3. Korh1

Korh1

Hey Mecanim-Dev, thanks for answering.

I'm going to start seeing if I can come up with a solution using StringToHash, but, just to be sure:

I assume getting a StateMachineBehaviour to access its fields is not, since you didn't mention it. Regarding my second question, ideally what I need is to get a State's name based on the last transition, since that would allow me to take the player's input into account.That can't be done either?

4. Korh1

Korh1

Oh, nevermind. Without accessing the fields within my StateMachineBehaviour, doing what I must is not possible regardless of being able to single-out the transitioning-to State or not. I'm going to have to come up with a different solution, so... forget it.

But thanks for clarifying those hashes for me anyway.

5. MxShepherd

MxShepherd