Search Unity

Question How to access Oculus Quest 2 finger skeleton bend values??

Discussion in 'XR Interaction Toolkit and Input' started by CloudyVR, Nov 13, 2020.

1. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

I just purchased a Quest 2 and have been struggling for days to figure out how to get the finger bend values from the hand skeleton.

I tried this project but the hands are never visible:
    https://github.com/handzlikchris/Unity.QuestRemoteHandTracking
    The guys states: "That's it. Now run the application on Quest and hit play in the editor" but what's it? I do not understand how to run an application on a Quest??

When I press play in the editor I do see the game in the HMD but no controllers. I am using Virtual Desktop and SteamVR to interact with my game. But I want to add Oculus finger tracking to my existing SteamVR game.

Please, before I waste my entire week on this Facebook hardware, is this even possible? Or am I persuing an impossible task and just wasted ~$500 on hardware that is not capable of sending finger tracking data to SteamVR?

Is this possible??

2. colinleet

colinleet

Random guess as I only have a Rift CV1, but try the quest link cable instead of an ethernet connection? (To remove the need for the quest to run an external build and forward the inputs as a network connection?) Also check your firewall if the quest cable fails?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  3. colinleet

colinleet

Also it looks like what you're trying to do isn't officially supported but is rather a hack:

4. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Thanks @colinleet for that advice. The last few days I have been researching this, and as you suggest; it's definitely going to be a hack as Oculus does not make hand skeleton available except for natively running code. That means options are very limited, the only course would be to create a native Oclulus game resembling the main PC game, then while running game both the PC and Quest game, stream the scene data from the PC game instance to the Oculus and stream the Oculus hands skeleton back to the PC. Currently the Quest 2 is just a very expensive doorstop sitting on my shelf..

5. colinleet

colinleet

Damn. Try developing for controller input instead/as well? They aren't that bad for object manipulation and at least give tactile feedback.