Search Unity

How the heck do I get unity to import LOD models

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ChosenZeus, Aug 10, 2018.

1. ChosenZeus

ChosenZeus

I have named four models _LOD0 through _LOD3 and I put them in the models folder. Unity claims that it will import and create an LOD group but it does not. I am using 3ds max to do this. The models just come in as four separate models.

Any help on what the heck I am missing would be appreciated. The unity documentation is either wrong or outdated …...AGAIN

2. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Just like if you had a problem with code, you'll need to load screenshots of your folder naming convention in Max and in Unity. Too much trouble to shoot in the dark.

3. ChosenZeus

ChosenZeus

upload_2018-8-10_16-51-21.png

files are named:

lamp_lod_test_LOD0.max
    lamp_lod_test_LOD1.max
    lamp_lod_test_LOD2.max
    lamp_lod_test_LOD3.max

All in my assets\models folder

Attached Files:

4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Still not a lot to go on. I suspect its an issue of missing a small detail either in naming convention or leaving some box unchecked.

This isn't something I have a ton of experience with so no immediate answers jump out. Probably a good place to start would be grabbing the free speed tree models that come with Unity and look at their LOD setup and seeing if you can spot a major difference between those and your setup. The devil is always in the details, don't let it eat you up. This kind of stuff you just got to get through once, then you'll always know.

5. ChosenZeus

ChosenZeus

I don't know what else to show this is what the documentation says, hopefully someone knows the answer out there, there must be people that do have some experience on this.

So to be clear on my question what is the proper work flow from 3ds max to unity to have a proper LOD instance?

I do feel that someone with experience on this issue should be hopefully able to see from my first post the thing I am missing.

6. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Yeah, in the meantime though, I'm sure if you work systematically you can find the answer yourself. Anybody who is going to help you will have to do the same exact thing.

So in maya, you have an in-house LOD system that, after setting it up, you just grab the root of the group and export into Unity and it all works.

Inside Max, are you using something like that? Or just putting these guys into separate folders and exporting as one fbx?

7. ChosenZeus

ChosenZeus

Not using Maya, I am hopefully reaching out to someone who knows the 3ds max workflow and wouldn't have to figure it out I am asking here because I so far cant figure it out. Unity docs claim that all that is needed is to name your four models with the right names and it can handle it. for over 100 bucks a month I really expect better docs, so I don't have to go to forums for answers. :)

8. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

You can't figure it out because you aren't trying! You expect an easy answer -- maybe this time you will get one, but what about the next time, and the next? This right here is the essential training that will make you or break you. Knowing answers is useless because there is always new questions. You've got to learn how to answer questions yourself.

It won't take you more than an hour if you just practice some basic troubleshooting. Why would anybody want to help you if you won't even provide a detailed breakdown of what you've done?

9. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

10. ChosenZeus

ChosenZeus

ok dude please let someone answer that may know, I have been trying all day, if you don't know, don't answer the thread, and please don't tell me I am not trying, you don't know me, my skill level or anything about me, and that is very rude. Change your own behavior, don't try to change others. Forums are for asking for answers, if you don't like that, then maybe stay out of them. NOT cool dude!

I super know how to trouble shoot, this one should be easy, and the docs are wrong. I am working on a lot of other things not just this, so hopefully someone can help if I am missing something easy.

11. ChosenZeus

ChosenZeus

Dude you are really awful, please don't ever answer a thread I am on again!

Maybe change your name to BIGTIMEWASTER. (see you had the W upside down, how is that for troubleshooting?)

12. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

13. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

The file name won’t matter, it looks at the mesh names. When you expand you asset object, what are the mesh names?

14. ChosenZeus

ChosenZeus

well right now since it imported only one model the mesh name of the only mesh in there is "circle004"

So that what I may be missing is there something I have to do in 3ds max to get the four models into some kind of package?

15. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Just put all the models in the same max file, and rename the objects so that they are (name)_LOD0 - (name)_LOD4 or what ever the case may be. Then you just need to add the one file to your unity project.

16. ChosenZeus

ChosenZeus

Thank You Thank you. your last answer before this one did the trick have been playing around now successfully finally

your the best!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018