Search Unity

How the Engine Works

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by gogoalshop, Jul 5, 2019.

1. gogoalshop

gogoalshop

Hi all,

Does Somebody know a good Book which explains how the Engine in Unity works?
    For expample, the Resource Management, Garbage Collectors. Updates and Transformation of Objects(Cameraspace, etc.)?

AndyTruman and User340 like this.
  2. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

There won't be much official information about the exact internals of the engine, but I would assume that most of it is covered by this book: Game Engine Architecture by Jason Gregory
    It also has a newer edition, which I haven't read.

Apart from that there will only be scattered information about specific topics. I once found a GDC talk about asset management in game engines, which also had a PDF version, which was one of the inspirations for how Unity handles things, but I lost the link, sorry.

Apart from that I'm also always interested in resources about game engine internals.

3. AndyTruman

AndyTruman

Book: The Unity Game Engine and the Circuits of Cultural Software
    Author: By Benjamin Nicoll

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

When I started with Unity I just kept making stuff all the time, and failing. Each fail, I looked it up. Read entire manual over and over, it's all explained there.

5. RxGian

RxGian

it is proprietary software so no one exactly know except their developer team, but it's good information for you:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ExecutionOrder.html

Are you trying to make your own engine? if yes, I have advise, "Making your own engine is too difficult and very time consuming".