Search Unity

How successfully to Sell a Hyper Casual/Casual Games ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Red_8, Mar 20, 2019.

?

Which marketing strategy works best for Hyper Casual / Casual games (or mobile games in general) ?

1. Facebook

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Instagram

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Youtube gameplays

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Google Ads

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. A Game Publisher

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  6. Unity Ads and others

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Game reviews by a well known blogger.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Game Dev Community

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. A built audience

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  10. Game landing page

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Red_8

Red_8

Hello everyone !

Im doing a research for a future StartUp in Mobile Game Dev and got to a point of defining our short, medium and long term strategy. We are a small team of two developers, doing mostly products for other company's, not Game Development, and we plan to start doing Mobile Games. Based on the market trends and statistics, Casual and Hyper Casual games are most ”in demand” now, so we decided for the first period of time, for the short term, to focus on Developing Hyper Casual and Casual games. There is lot to cover but for now, lets simplify the task.

Input:

• 2 Developers;
    • Software = Unity;
    • Platform = Mobile (Android and IOS).
    • Time to develop a product = 1-2 months.
    • Marketing budget = 1000-3000 USD.
    • Product type = Freemium Hyper Casual Games

1. Is there any way to have an income (1000-5000$/per game), without a publisher and using from 0-2000$ for marketing ? Im talking about real examples not ”luck” or some ”hype miracles”.
    2. How to sell those Hyper Casual in the best way (the most profitable way) ? Any Ideas ? Any experiences ?
    3. If not Hyper Casual then what else ?
    4. Is there any way to sell games without investing millions into marketing and being a successful business ? Success = (Invested money) x 2
    5. There are Millions of Hyper Casual Games on the market, how to stand out ?
    6. One friend suggested us to create games for PC and publish them on Steam instead of Mobile, and focusing more on Casual games, with a longer time of development. What do you think about this idea, is it worth it or not ? Mobile platforms are more accessible comparative to PC...
    By the way, don't get me wrong, I like Good Quality Games, but in this market, ”a good game is a well marketed game"...

Also

If anyone have any other Ideas of how they would start or manage this business, please let me know. Any experience/opinion matters.

Thank you in advance

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

I am a bit skeptical, you will receive recipe for business, specially from your competitors, which are plenty here and "there".

However, we had on the forum, tons of discussion, touching such subjects. So while waiting for responses, you can search (best via search engine) for such information already.

3. Murgilod

Murgilod

The mobile markets essentially collapsed for smaller titles ages ago.

Premium titles rarely sell, so free with either an IAP unlock or microtransactions. You can put ads in the game, but they're more likely to get you money by converting people to unlock sales than from the ads themselves.

Another platform entirely. I can not stress enough how awful the mobile market currently is and has been for... christ, what, at least 5 years now?

Yes, but you already said you don't want to deal with luck based answers.

If there was a simple answer to this, the other games on the market wouldn't be struggling either. You basically need to be the right game at the right time if you want to stand out, but there's no way to guarantee that.

The markets are more accessible but they're also less likely to spend. Android, for instance, suffers from an absolutely nightmarishly poor conversion rate to sales than iOS, but iOS isn't exactly a picnic in the park. These markets have been pretty much annihilated.

Red_8, Bridin and Ryiah like this.
  4. Red_8

Red_8

Not sure I understand what you mean... Im not a native English speaker... :( You mean that smaller titles had a lot of success or that they collapsed the market in a bad direction ?
    Good one... :D
    If my task is to generate 10.000$ per quarter, using the same development team and time, which platform has more chances in your ?
    01. Android - Freemium + Ads
    02. IOS - paid vesion with no ads;
    03. PC - Paid version and focused on a niche ?

Thank you in advance ;)

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Both. Smaller titles had a lot of success... and then they collapsed the market in a bad direction by simply having too many of them. At this point mobile is now a case of becoming lucky or not making money off of it.

This.

Red_8 likes this.
  6. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I think hyper casual games are as likely to make money as niche games. But the way you go about making money is entirely different. Its not really about games development its much more about analytics, SEO, etc.

With a niche game, you spend a lot more time making the game and in return you get a higher but still small chance of succeeding. It can be hard to qualify the need unless you happen to be in such a niche community.

With hyper casual games you are basically trying to tweak concepts and revenue earning mechanics until you hit on something that works.

A marketing budget of a few thousand is totally useless. Better to invest the whole budget in one or two games that show they are working.

For example if a game shows organic growth on release, then you might make it to stage one where you then throw a small percentage of your budget at it, if that is successful then you just throw everything in to it. You also turn all its own profits back in to marketing the game. You are looking for something that every dollar committed results in more than a dollar in return, when it reaches saturation point (ROI start trending downwards), then you either stop the investment loop or tweak the game.​

This may not be your exact strategy but its indicative of the way you need to think. Much of your work will be in analytics, small design and monetisation tweaks, A/B testing, etc. These are valuable skills, which are widely applicable and which many find interesting... but they aren't really the kind of things you associate with 'game dev'.

---

TLDR

- Ask yourself if you have an idea for a niche game in a niche you understand, if so niche is probably the way to go

- As yourself if at least one of you is willing to spend most of their time on analytics type work, if so hyper casual may work out for you

EDIT: And in either case be ready and able to financially and emotionally cope with failure... even if you do everything right success is far from guaranteed

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  7. Red_8

Red_8

Good point... Which means that its much better if I already have at least one game published from that niche and now, Im doing nothing else then collecting a feedback for improving and satisfying the audience with my next game. Is that correct ?
    Smart...
    Do you know any methods or web platforms for a good Market Analisis ? Google Play doesn't give anything on other products... There are some platforms like Appannie or SensorTower which I didn't tested yet, but something is telling me it won't be very useful... Are there any other methods ?
    It definitely will be me... :D For now, its hard for me to collect all the data and stats. No idea where to start from. To many articles, to many statistics that shows nothing but general information's... Sometimes I think an Excel file and a cold Google Play page analysis work much better than any other website from the domain.
    100% true...

8. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

You wont get detailed analytics, although you can at least assess some common characteristics from sites like appannie (for example correlate the trend of certain words and word positions to app store rankings).

You will need to launch your own apps, and get at least some users for them, to get the kind of detailed data you need. Don't expect much form the first few apps.