Search Unity

How should I structure my folder/files to sell on the Asset store?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GamerTools, Jun 17, 2018.

1. GamerTools

GamerTools

Hi guys, I'm new to selling on Unity. I've created quite a couple of packs of assets I'd like to post to the store, but I'm not sure what people are looking for in terms of structure for folders and formats. I've seen .png's quite a bit, and more rarely I've seen .eps files and .ai files.

The assets I've created are for mobile games and were made with Illustrator. If exported to Photoshop, do people want one large canvas with the assets? Or do they prefer layers with each asset on it's own layer? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

If possible, I'd cater to all of the above as far as image formats. There is nothing wrong with providing rendered pngs of course, but you want to provide the original sources I would think in case someone wants to change them according to their needs, so if you used Illustrator, the .ai files would be fine. Then if you can get things into a more generic vector format(I don't use them, don't know what that would be), you should also do the same.

My thoughts on folder structure...I'd would just make sure there is a single folder that contains everything related to your asset. I'd also use that same folder name for all other assets as well, so each asset would be a subfolder of your main "company name" folder.

The biggest issue I could imagine with folder structure, is if your asset depends on it. That is a big no-no to me. You should be able to use the asset equally whether I move things around, change folder names, put them in my own folders, whatever, it should all still work.

Socrates and Ryiah like this.
  3. TonyLi

TonyLi

For folder structure, please adhere to Where to Install Your Assets. Most of it applies to code-based assets, but it also applies if you plan to include any scripts or shaders in your package. This is in addition to kburkhart84's good tips (main company name folder, no hard-coded folder requirements).

You might want to include game-ready png's as well as the original .psd and/or .ai sources.

Assuming your asset is an image pack, provide each image as a separate file. This will allow customers to choose what they need. They can pack it into a larger atlas image / spritesheet on their own.

If your asset is a 3D model pack, and those models use the images you're talking about, it's probably better to prepack them into atlas textures.

Ryiah likes this.