Search Unity

How should I Start?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by UnknownProfile, Jan 24, 2009.

1. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Hi, I'm new to unity and pretty much all scripting that is, except for actionscript. i've made a few small games but I really want to know how to make a larger game. I want to make an MMO but don't know where to start in any way whatsoever. Can someone please set me in a direction? Please help! thanks.

2. RPGKHFan

RPGKHFan

3. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

4. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

Also, try ignoring networking and making a game without it in Unity first. :)
    It can still be like your final game, so you can learn and take stuff you've learned towards your goal.

Try the tuts the wiki the forums. Start small. Ask for help with detailed questions. Have fun!

5. RPGKHFan

RPGKHFan

Combo!</Halo voice>

6. jashan

jashan

Actually, since you've said you're pretty new to scripting, try this:

I know it's hard - but honestly (and from personal experience): Developing a game is a very complex task. Developing a multiplayer game is a significantly more complex task. If you have a single-player game idea that could be implemented in 4 weeks, don't expect to be able to pull the same thing for multiplayer in 6 weeks, or 7 weeks. Instead, think of 8 to 12 weeks or more.

If you want to take your "4 week game idea" to MMO (thousands of players) ... well, plan to have at least 6 months for that and don't be surprised when you're not done after a year or two. And: Be aware that when you think your game will take you 4 weeks, it's very likely that in reality, it will take you 2 or 3 months (unless you have based your 4-week estimate on having created a couple of games before).

Once you've finished at least a playable single-player prototype of your game, go back to "this and that" (see links above) ;-)