Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How should i manage pixel art sprite: size, width and height? How should i use Animation?

Discussion in '2D' started by Cratuss96, May 9, 2020.

1. Cratuss96

Cratuss96

Hello,

i have been using Unity for half a year now and would like to finally start (and finish) a working game!
    It should be a 2D game in pixel art style and I have 2 questions:
    1. what should I consider with the size (height*width) of the sprites and what should I consider with the size of the "pixels per unit"? Does it make sense if all sprites have the same height*width (e.g. 32x32) AND the same "Pixels per Unit"(32)?
    2. i have seen many videos on youtube where characters are animated by their body parts. Others use a sequence of images. What makes more sense in a pixelart game?
    I thank you in advance and apologize for my bad English. I hope I publish this article in the right place. I think It is my first post.

SeanyMnemonic likes this.
  2. Derekloffin

Derekloffin

Haven't got much a nose for ascetics, but I can give my opinion:
    1. how big your sprites should be is purely up to what you feel is good for your game. Whatever you choose, though, ensure you pixels per unit setting allows your expected resolution to make the most of your sprites. The way it works is the vertical resolution is 20 units, so you want your sprites to neatly use up that resolution. If you're using a tilemap, for instance, it will generally match the vertical pixel size of your tile sprites and you'd want 20 of those tiles to fix vertically on your screen at your desired resolution. You don't need all your sprites to be this same number of pixels, but they should all be using the same pixel per unit (so for instance, you could have a tree that is 32x64 or something).
    2. In pixelart, usually they'll use actual sprite sheets, not the bone animations. Bone animations are kinda the half way point between 3D animation and 2D animation and thus not really a pixelart ascetic. Bone animations are fine though, they just aren't usually a pixelart thing. That said, this is largely just a matter of looks and if think a bone style animation would work just as well, don't arbitrarily exclude it.

SeanyMnemonic and Cratuss96 like this.