Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

How seriously should we take Tiny?

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by Maras, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Maras

Maras

It is now more than a year since Tiny was announced and more than two months from the talk at Unite Copenhagen. I get that deadlines are not always reached, especially when creating something with an entirely new approach. It is also probably tied to the release of 2019.3. It would be great to have someone active on the forum who would update us every once in a while though.

I am just starting to think that I got excited a bit too early about Tiny (that would be about the year ago).

How many people currently work on Tiny? Am I mad for hoping that Tiny will become my main development tool? :)

Thanks

poliman likes this.
  2. JakHussain

JakHussain

I feel the same excitement you do. Though it's biggest dependency is on the maturity of core DOTS which is barely ready for production let alone the developments around it like networking and animation. UI hasn't even been started yet as far as I'm aware. My feeling is that Tiny would be one of the last things in the DOTS ecosystem to become production ready. Though that's just a guess.

Maras likes this.
  3. Jalol

Jalol

TLDR: I am using tiny, it work well enough. No business can function with the current lack of information.

I have been working with an old, javascript based version of tiny (14.5) and I am currently making prototypes and experimenting with business models.

After Copenhagen's annoucement, I lost an associate (senior marketing guy) and had to reduce my expectations about "production-readiness" of tiny, which was supposed to be released for production end of 2019.

I still believe in tiny's potential and hope for a release in 2020 but I will not hire nor train anyone with the current toolset.

I am still checking this forum every other day and the lack of news is... disturbing :s
    This forum was much more active in mars-june (including amazing answers from the devs!) but I feel like there is a lack of communication toward us, the "early adopters".

Maaayyybe if we ask very nicely we could have some news?

4. egonaraujo

egonaraujo

I've used Tiny twice now, and will probably use it again (depends if my employer will need another playable ad or not) and I think that it still has much to improve...

I've shipped 2 games for Facebook Playable ads, using Tiny 0.16.1. But they were all very short games, hyper-casuals, and didn't require a lot of code to do so (and the assets had to be reduced to that 2MB, single html file, facebook ad limitation)

It has some bugs you have to create workarounds, but nothing so major (Except particles that simply do not work with moving objects)

That said, one of my company goals is to allow all of our games to be easily exported for tiny (we have a no-code engine, made on top of unity [Ready games, https://www.getready.io/] ). I am still waiting on this next stable release they were talking some months ago to start building/researching this "export to Tiny" functionality though..

tonialatalo and sniffle63 like this.
  5. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

hi there,
    as we explained in this last post https://forum.unity.com/threads/oct-2019-update-on-project-tiny-roadmap.754850/ we learnt a lot since putting out the first previews of Project Tiny and we have adjusted our plans accordingly.
    Please watch the Unite Roadmap recording linked in the post to understand why it has taken longer than expected.

That being said, check the latest with a new Preview available, see https://forum.unity.com/threads/pro...y-racing-preview-3-020-0-is-available.792999/

tonialatalo, Jalol and Maras like this.
  6. Maras

Maras

Just wanted to say:

Sorry for doubting, I now have full confidence in Unity Tiny. The team is now very active on this forum and the 0.2 is working well. Can't wait what do you have in store for us next :)