Search Unity

How safe is it to use asset store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JacobFast, Aug 13, 2014.

1. JacobFast

JacobFast

As a bit paranoid person and having background experince in software security I have got some questions after trying couple of free plugins which have had dll libraries inside them. The plugins were kinda old and were not updated for like a year. Half of them even did not work properly in latest unity ( I've got better experience with non free plugins) .

So the questions:

1. Why are those plugins still there taking space in search results and causing confusion ?
    2. Does unity check all the assets on malicious software ? I suppose it does automatically. It should.
    3. Does unity check assets after each asset update?
    4. Does unity recheck assets when the software they are using gets an update.

Basically should user worry or use some kind of a common sense when he is going through the store?

chelnok likes this.
  2. Dantus

Dantus

1. You should inform the publisher and the asset store about that (assetstore@unity3d.com) .

2./3./4. I don't know whether there are automatic checks performed by Unity. But common sense is always needed! It would be extremely easy write code that harms you. This doesn't even need to be within a dll, but it could be written directly in UnityScript/C#/Boo.

3. chrisall76

chrisall76

It seems to be a check does by Unity people themselfs (as they also seem to check if your asset is actually working, they even informed me in a email about a small problem my asset had). And yea, the same process happens when you update your asset so it looks like they check each update too.

4. Dantus

Dantus

I know that they are not checking all updates manually. I don't know how exactly it works, but it seems that after a certain amount of updates without issues, they don't check the updates anymore and they are accepted automatically.
    I don't know whether some automatic checks take place.

5. Rinoa_Heartilly

Rinoa_Heartilly

AIK every time an asset is submitted to Asset Store, no matter it's new or an updated one the seller have to wait for the Unity team to test and approve it and make it available on the store.

But Unity just can't check the assets in all Unity versions, and they just can't force all the asset sellers to make the asset compatible with newer versions (update their assets or not, it's up to the sellers), I find that some code templates work best in some Unity version, you have to stick to the versions they support, I assume you'll do one game at a time so it's not big deal right? For example the (awesome) Bootcamp template works really well in 3.5 but crashes in newest version.

Sound, 3D models and 2D assets mostly work with all versions since they don't have (or don't have much) script.

So in short, it's safe! All assets on Asset Store do work, but you have to choose best version for the main template asset, then alter some other script asset add-ons if you need to merge them in.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Only for a few publishers that they decide on (no, I'm not one of those), and apparently that status can and has been taken away if warranted.

No, that's not at all feasible. Unity gets updated frequently and there are thousands of packages on the store.

--Eric