Search Unity

How production ready is unity or Unity + Havok Physics?

Discussion in 'Physics for ECS' started by FlightOfOne, Jul 2, 2020.

1. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

How production ready is unity or Unity + Havok Physics? Has anyone used this in a production environment and how was your experience compared to the current system?

This link almost makes it seems like it is ready to go.
    https://www.havok.com/announcements/havok-physics-integration-for-unity/

Do you think it is wise to use this in a production (probably goes on early access in about 4 months and final release is in about a year from then) project? Is it better to stick with the current physics system and upgrade later and if so how difficult is it to upgrade to havok?

Thanks!

steveeHavok likes this.
  2. steveeHavok

steveeHavok

I'll break my 2c down into 2 parts.

One, can you develop and release a game using the DOTS Physics framework? Yes. It's has been and it is being done. e.g. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1078000/Gamecraft/ Freejam even swapped to the Havok Physics simulation backend mid stream.

Two, actual production using DOTS/Physics. I'm biased of course :) but it really boils down to your physics customization/manipulation and performance needs vs your concerns over needing to make package/editor upgrades on a semi-regular basis in order to take bug fixes (or making local copies to packages). We do try to make upgrades as automatic as possible.

Are you familiar with DOTS in general? If so, I would say go for DOTS physics. If you are not familiar with DOTS right now, then your question should be more general rather than just specific to Physics. Unless your project is very specifically focused on manipulating the physics simulation. If your project involves detailed manipulation of the physics simulation, I would be nervous about switching simulations in the middle of production.

Can you tell us what you need out of the Physics representation and simulation for your project?

3. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

Hi

Appreciate you for your input!

After I posted this I ran into a video about Game Craft. Which is good to know be cause it at least gives me the short answer, yes! :)

Physics aspect is not supper complex. I am basically after all the vehicle physics stuff on Havok, e.g raycasting a mesh for the wheels and of course the performance is an added benefit. I will also have doors, levers etc that uses joints which I will use a hand (VR) to interact with. Just the basic, usual stuff. Unity physics seem to be much more precise or 'tamed' than the old physics which would help a lot with door handles etc. I did a quick test yesterday with some joints and performance is nearly doubled and this is just with Unity physics, and I'd assume it would be even better with Havok. If this works well I don't see why I can't use this for bullets too (now it is a non physics system).

I am familiar with the concept of DOTS but I'd be lying if I said I am comfortable with DOTS given that I have very limited knowledge/time under the belt with this system. I did play with it like a year ago and then I spent whole day yesterday trying to learn as much as I can. I am going to spend today and and try to get my hand/world interaction to work in DOTS. I really don't want to copy and paste code from else where to get something to work. I would rather fully understand and create them on my own. If this means delaying the project by couple of months. I am fine with that as I know I will eventually need to get on board with DOTS and might as well be now.

I guess I am not sure what works and what does not work with DOTS, too many unknowns (and information availability is very limited on Unity/Havok physics). For example if I use this for vehicles, then I will need to convert the terrain, trees and other things to Unity physics also. Also what about things like animations? Then there might be things that I don't know, I don't know at the moment.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    steveeHavok likes this.