Search Unity

How old developer are you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Haseeb_BSAA, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

Lmao another young developer here , welcome!

GreenBoxInteractive likes this.
  2. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

They are, but I would hate to say your not 90% right. We as young developers have a lot of creativity and we are of course young but at the price of that young we don't have as much experience as grown ups do. By that I mean finishing a personal project, and some other stuff. Ive made a lot of projects and Ive never finished them, but Im making an app right now and Im being pushed to do it which is painful but at the same time its essential to finishing something. So most of us, or some of us don't have that self push and thats not good. Thats something that kind of sets us young developers apart from the grown up.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  3. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

I'm just saying that young developers will make at least 90% of the future games which is correct. Actually you said that you were expecting less young developers so I made it clear that there are a lot of young developers. I know that we're not much experienced and experienced developers are definitely the best. I can't even think of continuing my project without the help of other experienced developers or tutorials. They're the best. All I said was that now the future games will be developed mostly by young developers :)

4. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Too bad most of the young people become those sleezy tocix 'developers' that jim sterling likes to prey on.

ogike likes this.
  5. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

That made absolutely no sense. Can you explain please?

6. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Well as you know steam greenlight is full of unfinished terrible games where most of them are created by 12-16 year old 'developers'.
    One in fact who is 13 has uploaded 2 stolen games to upload to greenlight where one of them has seriously impacted the real developer just before his release. Think that game was like the red army or what so ever.

Clearly these people want to explore game creation, the majority im assuming, but don't have the passion and commitment to actually do it properly.

ogike and Haseeb_BSAA like this.
  7. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

LOL! You're right , that's why many players think Unity is crap even though it isn't , what makes it look crap are the crap games developed by crap developers.
    I won't publish my game until I'm sure that it's worth playing almost everything you see in the game is done by me.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    ogike likes this.
  8. Samuel411

Samuel411

This is why I'm not comfortable talking about my age, lot's of people assume I'm one of "those" 'developers'. I don't think I am at least...

ogike and Haseeb_BSAA like this.
  9. GreenBoxInteractive

GreenBoxInteractive

I 100% agree here, I get the impression that older developers think we're not "real" developers. It can be quite daunting when you're at the bottom of the experience pile.

10. antislash

antislash

Young are Lucky they don't have to pay bills , parents do that for them, we "mature" developpers have to make a living

Haseeb_BSAA and Kiwasi like this.
  11. Arcatus

Arcatus

I am 30, but have only been into unity (and actually c#) for the last month.

As many others at my age here I was first introduced to computers when it was all text-based. Dos batch scripts is the first form of "coding" I remember. Youngsters these days missed out on a very exiting time; I had a turbo button on my computer!

Unlike most of the others that have posted here to far I have a more harware related approach to coding with C, VHDL, and G/labview and have been coding those three professionally for the last ~5 years.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  12. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

But hiding from others is not the best solution. Why not do something worthy and prove that we're not what they think?

13. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I remember that. Many games required you to write a batch lie to load up the various memory, mouse and joystick drivers before playing the game.

That was right. This was in the day when games frame rate was fixed by the CPU clock speed. As CPUs got more powerful old games ran to fast to be playable. Hence the turbo button. Turn on for loading, turn off to slow the comp down enough to play.

I hear the kids these days are using this new fangled Time.deltaTime.

Yash987654321 and Haseeb_BSAA like this.
  14. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

Time.time is better than Time.deltaTime in terms of frame rate?

15. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

1. 4 Years
    2. 26 Years

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  16. Samuel411

Samuel411

I've had an asset of mine get published to the asset store and I'm working on my first serious project that has gotten some positive responses but when meeting other developers in real life they'll think I'm the kid who copy and pastes code and just throws a bunch of assets from the asset store together to make a "game". When starting off that actually was me lol, I made a thread for my first game, a multiplayer rpg fps you can still find it if you look at my history of threads :p I even got a response from Lee.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  17. darkhog

darkhog

I am infuriated by the mere notion that I am old!

I'm 24 years young and started coding when I was 10 (in turbo pascal, lol).

Haseeb_BSAA and Samuel411 like this.
  18. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

You mean that game , right ? : http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/last-stand-by-lementgames.213205/

Or that : http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/side-tracked-3d-zombie-fps.223961/

Yeah these are good.

19. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

From next time , I'll also say "I'm 16 years old Young" Hahahaha

20. Kronnect

Kronnect

1. Ex-CTO here. Having worked for great business solutions companies for 15 years. Programming since 1984. Was a demoscene coder in my childhood. Started with BASIC in ZX-81, some assembler in Spectrum, QBASIC, Turbo Pascal, then loved C and DJGPP for years until legacy VisualBasic. Later .NET, Java and iOS, also some Android programming.
    Although I have been a manager for the last 7 years, I have been always a coder in heart.

Started using Unity 6 months ago.

2. I'm 40 now.

Haseeb_BSAA and antislash like this.
  21. Eths

Eths

1. How long have you been into development? I have been devoloping since I was 9 years old so I would say 6 years
    2. How old are you? 15 :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  22. antislash

antislash

1 K mem monster !!!

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  23. Wrymnn

Wrymnn

1. I was into Unity at ~17 but the development starter really one year back. So I would say 1-2 years. Started making games for PC, then some android games, and finally got some real external unity jobs from other people, i was able to work from home.
    Then decided to make my own 2D engine in C++/OpenGL, though I was sure I wouldn`t be able to do it, not even with 1000 tutorials. But I did heh, which helped me to expand my knowledge a lot. Not I do Unity for real job and C++/OpenGL at home as hobby.

2. I`m 20.

24. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

Nice , and nice crow! :D

Eths likes this.
  25. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

Mods lock this thread. It reminds me of how old I am and how little I have finished on my project. :(

1. I started programming a C64 when I was in elementary school then got bored and stopped. I then started programming an Amiga when I was in junior high and then got bored and stopped. I didn't really do any programming again until grad school where I either did my own programming in Matlab, Python, or R or had to fix other peoples programs. I've been learning Unity over the last couple years and I have found a project that really excites me.
    2. 43 so I am a year past the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything.

antislash and Haseeb_BSAA like this.
  26. Samuel411

Samuel411

I'm afraid that title goes to 42 ;)

Jonathan-Watkins and Haseeb_BSAA like this.
  27. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

1. 5 years programming, 3 years unity
    2. 17 :)

28. XGundam05

XGundam05

And I thought I was one of the young bucks around here :( (27 years old...had to ask my wife >.>).

I've been programming since I was 12, started with QBasic (DarkDread's RPG Tutorials for teh win!). I've been at my day job doing .NET line-of-business stuff (full stack web and product integration) for 5 years. Been using Unity specifically for 3-5? years.

And for some reason I really like pointers (I miss them in C#). malloc and calloc were my friends for many years in doing C work.

29. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Ugh. I just did some PLC programming work where we had to get low level enough to address specific hardware bits in memory. I'd be happy enough if I never had to do that again.

The machine we were coding on was actually installed before I was born.

30. XGundam05

XGundam05

@BoredMormon a lot of it probably comes from the fact that I never really had to use them for work. All my C/embedded work has been for either personal projects or I was the only developer on the project (in the case of a natural gas compressor control board).

31. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I'm 33 now and have been fiddling with computer games almost my entire life. I started on my C64, then moved on to things like Click-n-Play, spent thousands of hours with the Build Engine map editor (still do!), some console building programs like Fighter and RPG maker, played around a lot with WorldCraft (Hammer is a clone of it), Hammer, ES editor, Game Maker, and lots and lots of little game editing things in between.

Basically I've always loved to fiddle, but have never been very successful at anything because I'm a suck-ass student and time and money have never been a luxury for me.

32. devotid

devotid

- Never programmed in my life before.... Then I found Playmaker visual scripting 4 years ago and found a "side entrance to coding". ;)
    - 2-3 years now using Unity "Professionally".
    - 37 yrs old.
    I now "play in my office" full time making games for Steam and my own websites. I love it!

33. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

@devotid Nice , do you have a game published in steam? :D

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  34. devotid

devotid

http://store.steampowered.com/app/363430
    I built it two years ago. Released about a month ago on Steam. It is not my "best work" as it is a couple years old now and built on Unity 3.5.7. I wish I would have worked on it more before the release but im now building a nice new update with multiplayer and a better controller mapping system. :\ Im learning everyday though.

I just had another title that got greenlit in only 11 days!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=439469741
    so Im rebuilding it this month in my new Unity 5. It sooooooo much nicer than working in Unity 3. haha

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

I started coding dos and pascal, when I was 16...before windows, internet, or the 'mouse'...

I am 47....developing on and off..for the last 25 years......

I'm currently working on 5 active projects, when I'm working , it will be between 10 and 14 hours a day .my biggest problem is organization and project planning.
    I have so many pieces of paper with sketches and notes piling up!

doing it all ...takes its toll ..but also has its rewards

if I were to work on just 10 percent of the ideas in my mind and work 7 days a week 365 days are year, I would still need about 15 years to finish..

there is not enough time in 1 life..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2015
    devotid, Haseeb_BSAA and antislash like this.
  36. LaneFox

LaneFox

Real coders make code with butterflies.

Not_Sure and Kiwasi like this.
  37. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

You mean Butterflies with codes or codes with butterflies? O_O

38. Jonathan-Watkins

Jonathan-Watkins

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    Kiwasi, antislash and Haseeb_BSAA like this.
  39. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

In fairness, my code structure often looks as organized as a butterfly's flight plan.

40. RSharma98

RSharma98

1) Started using Unity to mess around with it a year ago, but I started my first project 6 months ago.
    2) I'm 17 years old

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  41. aiab_animech

aiab_animech

I'm 29 and have been working professionally with software development since I was 22. Worked with it as a hobby since I was 16

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  42. minionnz

minionnz

31. Been coding professionally for around 13 years now. It started when I was quite young though (10-12) - found a magazine with some programming article (some form of Basic I think) in it and thought it was amazing.. Never dreamed of making a career out of it though - not until I was asked to do a small programming job for a company I worked for.

As for game development, I just mess around with it and discovered Unity about 6 years ago. Aiming to move into games full time one day - but for now, I have to stick with what is paying the bills.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  43. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi Haseeb,

Great question.

I've been blessed to be doing this for going on 16 years professionally (7 years prior to honing the skills) and am 39. Skill set is in art, animation, comic books, design, programming, management, author, speaker, consultant, etc (Everything at one point or another). Lots of triple 'A' companies to start-ups and indies. You can check out my past work on my site in the signature below. :)

Great thing about our industry is it's still young and open for innovative ideas and always looking for talented guys and girls to make beautiful things for everyone to enjoy. Thank you again for the question.

antislash, Haseeb_BSAA and Samuel411 like this.
  44. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

You're welcome!
    That's awesome! :D I just checked your website and it looks interesting. As soon as I'm talented enough , I'll try to join it :)

45. MasterSubby

MasterSubby

I'm 29 (30 in July :eek:), and started developing in BASIC from my dads old computer books when I was 9, though I started drawing when I was a child. I picked up music for about 8 years starting in highschool, before getting back into anything game wise. In total, 20 years. 5 Years where I meant serious business about this being my career path, being in games in some way, shape, or form.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  46. C_Occlusion

C_Occlusion

I am 49....Started programming on a TI994A in the early 80's...I have a bad habit of moving from game engine to game engine and rarely complete a game...I just enjoy game making as a hobby and have no deadlines unless I set them for myself...Just having fun....

47. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

Cool! So which game engine did you find the best?

48. BFGames

BFGames

I am 28 years old.
    Started becoming interested in Game Development 6 years ago when i started my bachelor education.
    Been using Unity for around 5 years i think.

Just finished my master's degree (M.Sc) in Games Technology.
    Been working a bit in the industry while being under education to gain experience and a decent resume. Starting my first full-time job as a Game Developer next month :)

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  49. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I responded to your other thread and thought I should expand on that to say there was a time I used to spend a massive amount of time working on this stuff.

I am 48 and have been doing game development for about 32 years now. Started programming on the TI-99/4A in late 1982 or early 1983. All BASIC programming at that time.
    And here it is my first computer (image courtesy of OldComputers.net):

It was this machine that first opened the door to programming for me and as a teenager I spent a lot of time mowing lawns and shoveling snow so I had money to buy the few books and magazines available at that time on programming. This was where I first learned modular programming and through trial-and-error realized the importance of breaking things down into smaller chunks using procedures. It was also where I first learned what I call optimization-by-design out of necessity.

I was inspired at the time by games such as Parsec:

and Tunnels of Doom:

I also thought Pirate Adventure was pretty cool. It was one of, if not the, first text adventure games I ever played.

My next computers were the C64 and C128 (which I basically just used as a C64 anyway).

My first programming on the C64 was in BASIC working on simple text adventures. I thought it was very cool to be able to create a virtual world. Then I started messing around with sprites and tile sets (custom character sets they were called) to learn how to make arcade style games with graphics. And quickly found BASIC was pretty limited in what it could do. Rather than buying a compiler I decided to learn Assembly language. It was very empowering and I found that I liked programming in Assembly much more than I did in BASIC. It just seemed very logical and obviously it was lean and mean. I also learned PASCAL on the C64. Promal, Comal and a few other languages. Always my focus was just on learning and mastering this development stuff. I would attempt to clone bits of games I played. To figure out how it could be done in the best way. Which often meant completely throwing out what I had and restarting from scratch armed with what I had learned in the last iteration.

Then I got an Amiga 600. What a machine! I spent a lot of time working on game development using AMOS and later Blitz Basic. Then I got into some Assembly language programming and finally ended up with C and the Gamesmith API. During this time I released a few games for free into the PD (public domain) through Aminet.

Then around 1997 I got my first Windows PC that had Windows 95 and spent my time learning DOS programming with QBasic then quickly moved to DJGPP (a port of the GCC compiler) and Allegro. This reminded me very much of using C and Gamesmith on the Amiga. I made a vertical scrolling space shooter and released for free into the PD.

Then I moved into Blitz Basic and later into Blitz 3D. In early 2002 I released my first shareware game. It was an artillery game where you controlled a gun turret and attempted to destroy the enemies who were trying to land. I took a break for many years from active game development because of this shareware game. It was when I learned that marketing is the key to success. So I spent about 7 years or so studying and testing marketing in general and Website/ Digital Product marketing in particular. I did only a couple game dev related projects per year during this time. Then after completing my marketing journey I came back to messing around with game stuff a lot more and got into 3D game dev with Blitz 3D. Then got into Direct X and Direct 3D. Always just continually learning and making little games for myself and close friends to check out. Then got into C# and XNA and had a few game projects going on. Of course, one was another shmup. I think I must have made about 20 different shmups over the years on various machines. Also during this time I spent a lot of time working in Anim8or, Blender and other graphics programs. Music creation software and so forth.

Then I finally ended up in C# and Unity around September 2013 and joined these forums a few months later.

So... there you have it. Probably more than you cared to know but that is basically my history as far as game dev stuff is concerned.

50. Deleted User

Deleted User

1. 20 years.
    2. 33 years old.

I started out programming a lot in basic on the Commodore 64, but also messed with GWBASIC, QBASIC & later Borland Delphi heavily, making pong, breakout, and eventually a few galaga style clones. In the early 2000s I was employed as a programming in a language called Quancept for a few years, then I started my own web design company and learned PHP, Javascript, and MySQL.The next several years I sold PHP scripts and Wordpress themes for a living. Then I switched to writing Wordpress plugins and lived off of that for about 4 years. Since 2008 I've been developing games full time (made a 3d FPS flash game back then.) I picked up several languages along the way, such as Ruby, PERL, and C#. I've been using Unity full time for a little less than 2 years. I remember evaluating Unity for development in the late 2000s, but the editor was Mac OS X only at the time, so I went with CopperCube instead :)