Search Unity

How Much To Charge Client For Game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShokWayve, Jun 9, 2020.

1. ShokWayve

ShokWayve

Greetings,

Someone approached me to make a web game for them. This would be my first client :) However, I don't know how much to charge them.

It's a board game that would take me about a month and a half to do if I work on it 3 hours a day after work during the week. I estimate it would take me, therefore, about 90 hours of work - give or take a few hours. At one company I worked for, we paid a consultant about $75 per hour to do a web app for us. It was not a game, but it was of similar complexity. After 6 weeks we paid him about $20,000 for the app. Would that be a good benchmark? That would net me about $6,750 which seems low. However, this being my first client, I don't want to charge them too much either.

So, what's a good way to determine a price for a client when asked to develop a game? Thanks for any help or insight.

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

One way to go about it is to multiply number of hour you expect to work by wage you want to receive. Then up it to compensate for taxes, and downtime due to contract seeking.

ShokWayve likes this.
  3. ShokWayve

ShokWayve

Thanks for your reply.

4. TonyLi

TonyLi

Arrange hourly pay. Otherwise either you or them will come out on the losing end, usually you the contractor, typically because you underestimated the work or they "clarify" the work (i.e., move the goalposts) mid-project.

ShokWayve likes this.
  5. ShokWayve

ShokWayve

Thank you. I appreciate that insight.