Search Unity

How much time do you spend on Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Haseeb_BSAA, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

Hi :D , how is it going everybody?
    I was wondering how much time do you spend on Unity in a day ? I basically work on my project everyday but once I start working on it , I can only work for about an hour without any break. Then I get bored and stop.

QUESTIONS :

1.How much time do you spend on Unity in a day?
    2.What do you do when not using Unity?
    (I mostly watch youtube vidoes or simply surf internet , I'm on summer vacations , so yeah :p )

After a few hours , I start working again and stop after an hour :D So basically I spend about 2-4 hours on Unity everyday. Sometimes it's more and sometimes , it's less.
    What about you? Or wait... Are you even working on some project? ;)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
    lloydsummers likes this.
  2. kittik

kittik

Get bored of your project? You're doing something wrong.

I work for myself, on an ideal day I start at 9:30 or 10, I walk the dog and have a snack about 12:30 and then carry on working until 17:00. At that point I will back everything up and leave it alone for the night. That is unless I am totally engrossed. If I am engrossed, I can work into the early hours of the following day.

I have to sort out finances and other work related issues, so sometimes I can go a day without doing much towards a project, but at the moment I am on top of Unity.

As for hobbies, I cook for myself, my partner, friends (and sometimes the dog). I love cooking and think I'm an above average cook.

3. ostrich160

ostrich160

Your doing it full time by the sounds of things, not all of us have this advantage

For me, its about 2 hours a day, 9-11pm. On weekends, its usually literally all day/night, with quite a few breaks and sometimes a movie or so

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  4. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

Wow you work so much! :eek: I wish I could do that too.
    By getting bored , I mean that , I just can't keep on working straight , I feel like I need rest for a while. I think I'm doing good with my project btw :)

5. GreenBoxInteractive

GreenBoxInteractive

Because I am too young to dedicate myself to Game Development full time (Still in education) I just use it as much as possible, sometimes it'll be an hour after college, or if i'm not in college, it'll be anything from 2 - 15 hours at a time.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  6. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

15 hours? O_O God , this makes me wanna cry , I should get up right now and start working!!!!

GreenBoxInteractive likes this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

I am a perfectionist....I see a clear vision of my game..and will work tirelessly to achieve it...
    this is embarrassing, for , I have no life.

Last calendar year..12 -14 hours a day..7 days a week.. 10 projects. 2 computers

4 flight combat games(WW1,WW2 WW3, Galactic) , SkyRyder-bmx platformer, Satans Apostle-zombie shooter, a combat racing game..plus many more..and I need to bring my painting skills to some sort of 2D game....

I am having a hard time finishing most of them.My Standards are way to high.. and.....I do not have the monetary resources..and I keep building console games....for mobile..and it is not working out to well..

If you equate success with income...I am a failure

I need to kick-start...myself.

And.. I'm still webmaster for multiple sites...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  8. ippdev

ippdev

I work 14/7 with a few breaks in between to read news and post here, eat and deal with my attention demanding molukkan cockatoo. She thinks everytime I am trying intensely to figure something out that I am upset or something and wants to help and starts calling at me. I appreciate the concern but when you are trying to figure out what you need to figure out it can be disconcerting...and time consuming to get the focus back. I was up to 5:30am last night/this morning working on my procedural IK toolset point and shoot mode and got up at 9:30 to get back at it.

GarBenjamin, Haseeb_BSAA and chelnok like this.
  9. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

I work 8-12 hours a day (weekends/holidays included).
    I swim/bike/run/weight lift/etc - exercise is very important for brain health.
    I also code outside in the sun... vitamin D is also very important for brain health.
    Other than this, I play Minecraft (exercising the creative capacity), and read books/take courses to learn more.

That's my life. You won't find much of a social element.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    GarBenjamin, chelnok and ippdev like this.
  10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I spend more time on the forums then on Unity itself these days. Weird, I know, but life is pretty crazy at the moment. Getting a session in unity long enough to focus and get something done is difficult at the moment.

Once things settle back to normal I'll spend about 10-12 hours a week on on unity stuff. That will be split roughly evenly between the forums, building tutorials and working on my own projects.

Alternatively I could end up working for a game development firm. In which case it will be far more Unity then I care to think about at the moment.

GarBenjamin, Haseeb_BSAA and Ryiah like this.
  11. BFGames

BFGames

On average around 8 hours... but then again its my job :D

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  12. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Not that I necessarily agree (having had some fun and productive 24+ hour coding sessions in my younger days) but much research suggests that working long hours is not the most productive thing to do (google it).

As to the question, I usually get about 4-8 hours in during the week, and 8-12 hours on the weekend (fitting around the day job). When I take time off to work on a project full time I try to limit myself to 48 hours a week.

GarBenjamin and Haseeb_BSAA like this.
  13. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

Great question

For the last year, I've been employed with a startup to build 3D visualization for patient records in medical software. I work there between 8AM and about 6PM and I'm the only person works in Unity out of a team of 16 - I have a coffee break in the morning, my lunch and then tea in the afternoon - so probably 2 hour increments.

I also work at home from 7PM to about 11PM straight, and on weekends from 9AM to 9PM or so working on mobile applications and games - right now I'm working on my first PS4 and PS Vita game which is consuming a mad amount of time.

Typically this is all Unity, however, recently I've started to take a look at Unreal now that BlackBerry is EOL with Unity. Realistically for the last year I have been working 80 hours a week on development, so 60 to 80 hours a week with Unity.

I garden, I'm big into IoT - and I have a huge indoor wall garden I built and maintain. Sometimes I play guitar, I write a lot of articles about mobile development for various blogs, and a couple of days a month I volunteer for a couple of different local organizations.

14. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Generally I average about 10 to 12 hours per week working on my Unity projects.

The number of hours is different depending on the time of year. April through September I generally average about 6 hours per week (roughly 45 minutes per day) on my Unity projects. October through March I spend about 15 hours per week on my Unity projects. This is just because I greatly enjoy getting out of the house and being active. Half of the year I am outside much more than the other half.

I already put in 40 to 45 hours per week at my day job in software engineering. As soon as my workday ends I start my workout. Everyday, I spend an hour walking at max speed and do 100 push ups. And then 4 days per week I do the actual real workout (sometimes that is my own weight lifting program and sometimes it is one of several home fitness dvd programs I have). After that I may work around the house mowing, weed-eating, landscaping, wash and detail the vehicles and so forth. Then I check out a forum or two (including these). After that I play a game with my girlfriend for a while (in fact, about to play some Diablo 3 with her right after this post). Then I may either play some games online or on my NES, Genesis or PS3 ... or ... spend that time researching online just to learn. It could be game design or graphics or marketing or goal achievement or whatever. Then I put in a little time on my Unity game projects and go to sleep.

Haseeb_BSAA and lloydsummers like this.
  15. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

Love it! My wife and I were getting into LOTRO for a while too :)

16. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

That's only around 7 hours. A standard working day where I live is 8 or 9. I personally often do a standard working day and then do my own project work for another 1 to 3 hours (though often that doesn't feel like work).

Haseeb_BSAA and Kiwasi like this.
  17. LaneFox

LaneFox

I don't actually use Unity, I just post incoherent stuff here randomly to spark conversation.

In my spare time I masquerade as a hipster gamedev.

18. N1warhead

N1warhead

I work 16 hours a day on Unity. No set schedule. That's why I haven't been on here much in the past couple of months. Don't have time.

But I work 5 days a week 16 (sometimes 8) hours a day, then on the weekends I work on my projects.

lloydsummers and GarBenjamin like this.
  19. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

When do you sleep, eat, take breaks? Is that reserved for weekends and the occasional 8 hour days?

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  20. Meltdown

Meltdown

On average 12 hours a day. And usually a full day on the weekend too.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  21. N1warhead

N1warhead

I don't take breaks lol. The only break I'll take is a cig break so about 5 minutes every 2 hours or so.
    When I eat, I warm something up and bring it back to PC and slowly eat it as I work lol.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  22. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I hope for your sake that you're exaggerating.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  23. N1warhead

N1warhead

No I'm not, I'm a workaholic, I love to work, if I'm not working I feel worthless lol.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  24. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

If your claims are accurate, don't you find diminishing returns on your concentration and ability to problem solve? (which is most of the job of a gamedev). At various stages of my life I have consistently put in more than a 40 hour work week (some phases quite a bit more) but if I look at my output during those stages I can't meaningfully say that I got more work done.

Obviously, this would vary from person to person but I can honestly say that when it comes to solving complex problems that one hour when refreshed can easily equal 3-4 hours when in a tired and overworked state. Not to mention coming up with better solutions happen a lot more frequently than when overworked when suboptimal solutions tend to happen.

End of a release cycle is one thing but sustaining crazy hours for any meaningful amount of time for myself never works for me.

Haseeb_BSAA and angrypenguin like this.
  25. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Absolutely. I find that if I do too much of the same thing - probably somewhere around 50 hours a week - I start to get really, atrociously bad at it. I also get irritable, have trouble sleeping, and - just like @N1warhead described - start to feel bad when I'm not working. They're all bad signs, and that's without considering the negative effects of the things you're missing out on while you're work binging like time with friends and family, general relaxation, getting out and seeing the world, exercise, so on and so forth.

This. A little crunch now and then sucks but is quite manageable. Doing it constantly is quite another story, though.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  26. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

Wow , good luck with all your projects :) You work so much.
    And don't forget to inform us when you release your PS Vita/PS4 game because I'm interested in PS development. :D

27. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

You must be professional and working in a team? I guess maybe I'll work much too when I'm a professional.

28. N1warhead

N1warhead

I'm lead coder for a company yes. But my personal projects, I'm targeting PC and Xbox One development.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  29. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

Wow! Which company? (If you don't mind).

30. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I'm a complete workaholic and usually spend about 80 hours a week working in one way or another.

My day job is all over the map with hours, but lately I've been doing the work of two people and having to attend training and meetings while I'm at it. This leaves me with very little time for my game, but I'm starting to force myself to make time for it.

I'm typically either on or off with Unity. I either don't do anything for long periods, or I'm sitting at it for 12 to 18 hours straight.

Working at a children's shelter or helping my elderly mother-in-law around the house, which sucks because I can't sit for five minutes at home without getting interupted, which means that I have to do almost all of my work at pubs and cafes.

lloydsummers and Haseeb_BSAA like this.
  31. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Forgot to answer this part. By day in a chemical engineer. Used to run a formulation and packaging plant for agrochemicals. One of my key roles was to ensure nothing blew up. Currently in the middle of relocating and finding new work in a different country.

I'm heavily involved with my church. I have a wife and two kids that keep my busy as well.

When I do get spare time I like to play board games and do Unity stuff. Occasionally I also play video games.

lloydsummers and Haseeb_BSAA like this.
  32. ippdev

ippdev

I understand this. The Good Lord built this into me and I have been this way since a young child. The trick has always been to do something I love that involves art and heavy thinking and sometimes physical labour such as the giant landmark metal sculptures. Whether that was oil painting, giant sculpture, music composition engineering and production, script writing or now game engine systems.

33. N1warhead

N1warhead

Yeap yeap, I agree.. I can't stand not doing something. I've pushed all my friends away, heck even some family, because they aren't going to pay my bills, but my hard work will. It's like my newegg e-mail I just got. It said on it "The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary". Which is so true.

Haseeb_BSAA and ippdev like this.
  34. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

That's true and I have been a workaholic my entire life too. I used to spend most of my free time working on game or utility projects. Sometime during the last 5 years I began spreading the time out more into other things mainly exercise. Also spent more time on dev when I was single. I think that is pretty normal though. Anyway, yes it is good to always be doing something. Training, Unity dev projects, learning, manual labor work and so on. I think as time passes I just balance it all with time with girlfriend, playing video games and even occasionally watching tv. Never been much into sitting watching tv seems like an incredible wast of time.

ippdev likes this.
  35. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

This is so true!!!

36. darkhog

darkhog

How much time I spend? Not nearly as much as I want I say! What I'm doing when I'm not using Unity? Mostly waste time by eating and sleeping.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  37. Baroni

Baroni

1. Zero. Besides supporting my assets on the store, I barely open Unity for anything in the last few weeks.
    2. Focus on my day job, which is also the reason for the current situation on 1. Obviously I still stay informed about what is happening in the Unity ecosystem by reading through the forums and watching Unite videos.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  38. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You'll only regret pushing away people. Money comes and goes but people just go in the end.

Ryiah, Jonathan-Watkins and Kiwasi like this.
  39. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

There are nearly 8 billion people in the world! They never go. JK lol

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
  40. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Obviously you don't have 8 billion friends and family. Most of those will hate you or ignore you. Best not push away the few that don't :)

41. wbakunis

wbakunis

Back in 2012 & part of 2013 I was spending close to 12 hours a day working on a project. I didn't have a job and I was fresh out of highschool. Brain got burnt out and now I barely spend about an hour everyday.

42. N1warhead

N1warhead

Well I needed a break from life, well people, they were draining me. Make me spend my money on them, make me go to bars and buy them drinks, etc. I ain't got time for that, so now I'm just busting my butt off and getting business going, then once I know I'm financially secure more than I am, I'll have people in my life again, but the right kind of people, not young immature people. lol.

43. 3agle

3agle

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  44. N1warhead

N1warhead

I don't care if I seem professional or not, I just say what I want to say, if someone doesn't like them, then oh well.
    That's how I got the job I got now, I just told the people how it was and how it was gonna be and that was it. They respected it because most people they said just told them what they wanted to hear.

But anywho, I've had a very adventurous life, that's why I just want to settle down.
    I've traveled the world, I've been to nearly 15 different homeland security schools around the country (Hawaii, New Mexico, Nevada, New York, Alabama, etc. And am a certified in explosives, even a certified instructor on explosives handling, certified firefighter, certified first responder, certified in Hydraulic Calculations, Mass Casualty Incidents, etc.) All in all I have 45 Certifications through Homeland Security, The National Fire Academy, etc

I've done a lot of things, so now I just want to relax and do my thing.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  45. 3agle

3agle

Fair enough, a very different situation from me, then. I would never want to go back to being reclusive after having experienced the wider world.

Also, the professional comment was about me, not you, no offense intended.

46. N1warhead

N1warhead

Well, when you after getting paid, are -58 dollars in the bank account and 2 dollars in a paypal account, really makes you rethink your strategy in life lol.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  47. 3agle

3agle

Very true!
    I must admit I've been comfortable financially up until recently, which does help things. Though rent prices are rising a huge amount in the UK, so maybe I'll start working 16 hour days soon too :p

N1warhead likes this.
  48. ippdev

ippdev

Yeah.. Having fun works better with a good buck in yer pocket. Mountain biking works better with a mountain bike under yer arse. Eating out works better if you don't have to wash dishes to pay your bill. Paying rent work better when you have rent money to pay..etc..etc..etc.

N1warhead likes this.
  49. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

I've found it isn't much better on the opposite end either ... I left a job that was rather worthless in the grand scheme of things (but was paying me about 4 times as much) to start working as a lead Unity developer last year. It was the best decision I've made.

The real challenge, and I think this is kind of what you are saying in a way, is to find that "right" balance... and sometimes you need to make a drastic change to counter balance your past. I won't judge, I'm a ridiculous workaholic too - I'm just lucky my wife is the same and we work together a lot so at least I don't lose that :)

50. Mattyy

Mattyy

I usually spend 8-12 hours a day working. If I am not working, I would be stalking hot girls on the internet! :cool: