Search Unity

How much time did your first game took to make

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yash987654321, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

2. tiggus

tiggus

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

My first game was released the same day I downloaded Unity. It was a very dodgy flappy bird clone.

4. Meltdown

Meltdown

I did a 3D table tennis game in a about a week. I even modelled and textured the table tennis table myself!

Kiwasi likes this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Started a lot of projects, never finished them. Finished and published my first game on Google Play in 1 month after 10 months of learning.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Somehow I feel like this could be taken as a pun on the game's mechanics...

7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Make or release? (make and release?)

I never released the first thing I made.

The first thing I released took me roughly 2.5 years.

(you mention learning, but learning what? coding? 3d art? writing music? game design?)

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Lol. My game made flappy bird's production values look AAA.

9. Batman_831

Batman_831

First game? About 2-3 hours the day I downloaded unity. I was experimenting with rigidbodies and terrain system. Imported First Person Character Controller from unity assets put it on my beautifully designed terrain and it was done. No Programming :p

First Successfully completed game? About 15 days. I had to do textures, musics and art all myself. I wasn't even that fluent in scripting that time so tiny scripts took huge time. I thought it was a bad game that I made, I wasn't happy at all. Now when I look at it, it looks a masterpiece to me. Sometimes I wonder how was I able to do it. Feels good playing your old games :)

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  10. Prototypetheta

Prototypetheta

Been working on mine since... 1st September... Damn.

But then again, I am perhaps being a little ambitious for a first game.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  11. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

2 years (non-continuously) Almost done, though. I'm currently putting together a nice trailer.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  12. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

About 6 months, around the time I joined in 2013, with my girlfriend doing the 3D art, and its a horrible mess of horribleness! :D
    It was 13$ on Desura and only had a few sales (yeah the price tag was a huge put-off, but I was new to it all), then it died and was forgotten about. Then I saw this thread and decided to put it on itch.io for free, since I was meaning to try it out anyway. You can get it here http://damaged-grounds.itch.io/cargo-lander. :)

Features 60 levels, and 6 game modes.

PS. Was even lucky to get a Indie for Breakfast youtube review. Guy didn't get far though. :D

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  13. ensiferum888

ensiferum888

Been on it for 2 years and a half part time. It's more like 140 days of actual work (8h day) this is a rough estimate of course.

dogzerx2 likes this.
  14. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Wooo 2 downloads since yesterday. If its someone from the forum, I'm sorry. Jk, bear with the game, it gets better, and much much harder. :D

15. ExtraAmmo

ExtraAmmo

I've been conceptually working on my first game for several years. Unity work has been a couple hours a week for the past year. Not done yet.

16. elmar1028

elmar1028

I had a 3 games made on mobile and one on web.

First one was made to test my skills. Graphics were ripped from the internet and no animation whatsoever. It took me less than a day to make it.

Another game was more concentrated on graphics. But a flappy bird clone. Took me less than a week to produce.

The third one was released in September on Android. I wanted to make a simplistic game with original mechanics.
    It took one year to make it.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  17. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Two years full-time and counting.

dogzerx2 likes this.