Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How much money the Asset Store can provide to you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sharkhead45, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Murgilod

Murgilod

If you want to consider the worst case scenarios then don't make games or game assets at all and invest in apocalypse bunkers.

lloydsummers and alexanderameye like this.
  2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Right, there's no such thing as zero-risk. But if you're not engaged in copyright violations or similar, there's no real chance of having the asset taken down. Out of the many thousands of assets, has that ever happened to anyone (who wasn't blatantly engaged in fraud)? If it has, nobody's ever said so.

--Eric

3. grimunk

grimunk

It's true, there is no such thing as zero risk, but that's not what we're talking about. Agreeing to contracts that are open-ended is the other party's favor is not a smart business move. No one should be doing it, you're already taking enough risk as-is.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Erm, no, it's worked out pretty well. There isn't really the risk that you seem to think.

--Eric

5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Then what if the apocalypse never comes?

frankslater likes this.
  6. QFSW

QFSW

Pretty much every set of terms and conditions has a vague open ended clause to defend the company's ass, if you used this same ideology everywhere you probably wouldn't be able to get very far.

7. frankslater

frankslater

Thanks Eric, that's good to know. The biggest cut goes to the taxman anyway and most people are probably much better off on that front.

I don't presume you signed with Apple Store then @grimunk. They had some things in there that I thought were slightly outrageous. Some of it sounded like "We are Apple. We are gods. You must give us free gifts to honor us." Also certain things made me feel like Apple didn't like small businesses.

Most big companies you have to sign an agreement with will have this kind of "sole discretion" thing to remove your stuff and for good reasons. To be that high risk, your thing would have to sell a lot before being flagged for copyright infringement or something. They probably keep the 30%, so people don't feel like trying their luck doing something they shouldn't. Haven't checked the EULA yet, but I don't think they can freely bankrupt you just because someone had a bad day.

8. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

That depends on your tax bracket I suppose and where you are. I'm in the ~30% tax bracket. But that's 30% of 70% since the first 30% doesn't count as income, so technically it's a bit less.

The takedown clause is absolutely necessary because there have been instances of people selling stolen content and Unity had to take it down. That being said, in my 4+ years as an asset publisher I've not once ever seen a legitimate asset taken down by Unity.

frankslater and QFSW like this.
  9. frankslater

frankslater

Yeah, I was thinking to write this so it would make you guys feel happy about your taxes, but I thought it would look like complaining and I wouldn't wanna do that.

Here if you earn 70% higher than the minimum wage, you are already in the top bracket and the taxman takes 50% of your earnings from there on. I'm not going to say where is here, so don't ask. Just be happy you guys, and
    ! ;)

10. neoshaman

neoshaman

11. VIC20

VIC20

Isn’t there an Asset for that?

12. Tom_Veg

Tom_Veg

Rent them for parties ;)

Aiursrage2k likes this.
  13. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

New VR room!

14. Lorin_Atzberger

Lorin_Atzberger

Hello,

Thought I'd share my store here:
    At PolyForge (https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/26303) it's just me and my girlfriend. She does all the handpainted graphics, I deal with the procedural ones (professionally I'm a programmer but this is rather fun).
    Development is really slow and we've only invested a bit of our free time making the assets over the course of 7 months or so (currently I'm working on some much bigger code / editor extension assets). So far we've earned about 220$. Her assets sell a bit slower than mine and also mine take a lot less to develop. Most of the procedural assets there were done in a day of work. Also, it seems that over time as we added more packs, the sales improved overall. Last month we've earned about 66$. If we manage to get that number to 2-3k$ I'll consider this a great success. The plans I have with the editor extensions should be of interest to a lot of people around here but more on that later.

15. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

The sales depends on many factors, not only quality or quantity.
    A few factors are:
    • The need of the asset (How many people need the asset?)
    • The quality of the asset
    • The support of the asset
    • The learning curve of the asset
    • The tutorials and documentation of the asset
    • The introduction of the asset (Do you have described all aspects of the asset?)
    • The price of the asset
    • The evaluation of the asset
    • The usage simplicity of the asset
    • and many more factors ...
    Check out the Tips for Asset Store Publishers thread and you will find some useful information.
    But, you can ignore factors as you wish, for example the price of the asset can be ignored when your asset has applied other factors.
    You can earn good profits from any market, it depends on yourself and your work.

Thanks.

16. zenGarden

zenGarden

Yep, if you take a look at some very popular assets, it's mainly because they are really nedeed and they are not complicated to use (Gaia, Invector etc ...)

17. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

It is like any online sales platform. It is hit or miss. Some content sells better than others. Some content is grossly overdone. Sometimes you'll work hard and get little, and sometimes you'll work little and get a lot.

My sales fluctuate a lot every month so it is hard to give a number.

But my advice is always the same to any of these generic questions - do your research! Look at the top selling areas - you can see the reviews at least (although keep in mind some assets get almost 24/7 coverage by Unity and can be artificially inflated).

Think of it like a business plan or competitive analysis. If you want money, invest time.

Go through each section by category and sort by post purchased. Ignore the top 10. Catalogue around 10 to 30 and multiply it against an arbitrary difficult value (some assets take hours to make, some weeks). Now you will know where the money is and it is a lot more accurate than peoples opinions. You'll want to keep revisiting this as markets change fast. You should be doing this for everything you sell on every digital store front and mobile app store.

18. grimunk

grimunk

I think it is common for sales for fluctuate during the tail.

With our web game, we have noticed that the audience starts large, gets smaller, then starts to grow again.