Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How much money do you make if you pulbish your game the a website like y8, onemorelevel etc.?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NinjaRubberBand, Apr 1, 2016.

1. NinjaRubberBand

NinjaRubberBand

Ive been wondering since im working on a game which i plan on publishing to a gamewebsite. Does anyone have any experience of how much money you can make of it, and tell how it went for you?

2. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

It's like any market. If your game gets a few plays per day you might make $1 in a year. I think it's really not so much about the market or even the game and more about your skills in promoting the game mixed with some luck of releasing the right thing at the right time. Of course, the better the game the easier the promotion should be but still if you check out y8, Kongregate and so forth you will find many solid games often quite well done with less than a thousand or two plays. Basically the same as the mobile market. Lot of nice looking games on mobile with less than 100 downloads.

Probably if you spent 1 to 2 hours on marketing your game for every 1 hour you spent designing and developing it you'd see more success than the majority of folks.

Here's a game I threw out on Kongregate about 15 months ago. It has about 800 plays total so far.

While that is certainly not good it is also far better than many. You will find many games that struggle to hit 100 plays even after a couple of years.

No idea how much money it has made. I actually never even thought about that part other than in the very beginning when I heard everyone around here talking about money so much I started to have a bit of concern that it might actually make some meaningful amount and I didn't want that. Tax filing purposes and all. Maybe I will check some day and see how much ad revenue it has produced.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

My experience with ad supported platforms is 1-2 dollars per thousand plays. If you add in IAP this number will change.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

I know this is an old thread, but recently I noticed my HyperBowl game on y8.com and I can say I haven't made any money off it, which isn't surprising as they don't mention anything about revenue share and I don't recall uploading it, so it really seems like a piracy site to me. I did upload to Kongregate a long time ago and also made no money there, but I've made a few bucks from GameJolt and Itch.io.