Search Unity

How much free space needed to install?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ale-carrazzoni, Jan 19, 2016.

1. ale-carrazzoni

ale-carrazzoni

I am trying to install the Unity Editor on Linux but I can't due to too little free disk space. The Unity .deb is 1.2GB but apparently it needs more than that as I have 1.9GB free on my / partition and I still can't install it. How much disk space does the Unity Editor take when installed?

Spykid498 likes this.
  2. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

It takes up a bit over 4.1 GB + your projects. I don't know how much space the dependencies take up, although I'd imagine it's not much.

Edit: It is possible to move Unity to a different drive after it is installed. To do so, make sure Unity is closed, then run these commands in a terminal window:
    • mv /opt/Unity/ /where/you/want/Unity
    • ln /where/you/want/Unity /opt/Unity (or "ln -s /your/target/directory /opt/unity" (without quotation marks) if it gives you an error)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  3. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

4.1GB? Mine takes up 3.2GB... :D Or maybe you're talking about 5.3, I'm still on 5.2

4. ale-carrazzoni

ale-carrazzoni

Never mind I managed to install in other drive using the .sh script. But now when opening Unity the window that appears is black and has nothing on it.

What I get on ~/.config/unity3d/Editor.log is this:
    Error: execv(npm): No such file or directory
    (Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Platform/Linux/EditorUtility.cpp Line: 36)

ListPackages failed, output:
    Error: execv(npm): No such file or directory
    (Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Platform/Linux/EditorUtility.cpp Line: 36)

InstallEditorPackages failed, output: process_set_termination_details: error looking up process handle 0x10001

installJavascriptPackages failed
    (Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Utilities/Argv.cpp Line: 168)

[0119/180121:ERROR:gpu_process_transport_factory.cc(402)] Failed to establish GPU channel.
    Error loading file:///%2Fhome%2Falejandro%2F.local%2Fshare%2Funity3d%2FPackages%2Fnode_modules%2Funity-editor-home%2Fdist/index.html#/project/recent

(Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Platform/Interface/NativeWebViewWindow.cpp Line: 50)

EDIT: nevermind, I installed npm and now it works!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  5. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Yea, found out the hard way that npm was required... (Ubuntu Software Center wasn't even telling me! :D)

6. pandageneration

pandageneration

Hey can i Ask how you install it to the /opt folder in the terminal of ubuntu. What exactly is the one liner? I tried sudo dpkg -i --instdir=/opt/unity3d unity*.deb and it gives me trouble. But oh well I will just stick with the ubuntu software center method by double clicking the deb. Other then that terminal only said I had problem with the deb package, after installing npm and recommends?