Search Unity

how much feasible is to make AAA cricket game using Unity3d engine on mobile platform

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chetan-rane, Dec 16, 2013.

1. chetan-rane

chetan-rane

Hi All,

how much feasible is to make AAA cricket game using Unity3d engine keeping iOS and Android as target platform?

- Chetan Rane

2. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

AAA mobile game ... isn't that a contradiction?

3. mgear

mgear

4. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

The question you should ask is, by whom?
    By youself? Judging by you only have 1 post, I am assuming you just started to use Unity, then the answer is NO.

But even with a professional team, it is still difficult - as seen in the massive failure of the now cancelled Ashes Cricket 2013 by 505 Games. And they were targeting DESKTOP (a considerably easier platform to develop than mobile) !!
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/21...R-realease-developer-blames-Unity-for-failure

It is very feasible if you have a very capable, professional and experienced team. There is nothing that can't be done in Unity if you have the experience, the talent, the manpower, and the funding. But if you don't have any of those, I suggest you start with something simpler and easier.

5. goat

goat

If you have access to a comprehensive smooth flow of cricket animations and are good at knowing how to use and blend them in mecanim and are mathematically inclined enough to create a finite state machine based on the rules of cricket then, yes, you can do a better job at such a game then was done in those videos. You'll need to actually test the game though, which doesn't appear to be the case in that other venture.

6. goat

goat

It's a tired marketing term and if you take it seriously in any context, that is the contradiction.

7. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

You're such an idiot. Don't you know? If you say something 3 times, it's 3 times as important!

The reason for failure on this game is kind of a mystery, but it's not because they didn't test it. The bugs are so incredibly obvious they had to be very much aware of them.

It doesn't take a lot of mathematical inclination to build a state machine. But it is hard to build a state machine that scales, and that's my best guess as to why the project tanked. This could be due to:

1. Not using enough hierarchy in their FSMs
    2. Over-reliance on PM global variables
    3. Over-reliance on PM global events.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  8. chetan-rane

chetan-rane

Thanks all for you valuable feeback.

@I am da bawss
    thanks for your info. We are a team with almost 6yrs of exp of doing cricket game on mobile (using c++ native engine)
    lets see how this exp help us to improve the same.

Again appreciate all of your feedbacks

9. vintagegameboy

vintagegameboy

Thanks Chetan for asking this question.
    today is my first day on unity and i am also making cricket, so i'll try to learn from their mistakes.

wish me luck...

10. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

A successful, very high quality, professional cricket game in Unity? Totally doable. Mobile or Console/PC. Just because one developer failed at it, using Unity doesn't mean it can't be done, it just means they couldn't do it. (or just did it wrong).

AAA, no, probably not. AAA's are blockbuster budget massive projects done by AAA capable studios who will be using an engine tailored to their specific needs (internal or external).

Also, now seems like a great opportunity for someone to make a kick-ass cricket game since clearly there is a gap in the market.

11. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

IIRC there is some one thats going to come out I think its called Don Bradman Cricket or somesuch that looks good.

12. Meltdown

Meltdown

It's feasible, the limits are not the engine but your budget and your team's abilities.

I would budget 1 year with a development team of a producer, 2 programmers, 2 artists and a sound engineer to get something playable. Probably another 6 months on top of that for polish, beta testing and fine tuning.

Then you also need to consider licensing. Will you have real-world players and likenesses in your game? Will you use real cricket stadiums?
    Unfortunately unless you have big money and a track record of proven game title releases, you most likely won't get any of the licensing.

PS : Make sure at least one of your programmers has plenty of AI experience, otherwise see above video ^^ :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013