Search Unity

How many users are now on the asset store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by imaginaryhuman, May 28, 2013.

1. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

So I hear Unity has nearly 2 million users overall, over some time period. Back in 2011 there was a post telling us that the asset store had around 20,000 registered users. It's now 2013 - could we assume this number to be closer to 50,000 now, or more? I'm trying to assess the business potential for a new asset I'm working on. Perhaps Unity can provide some official number of how many people are actually buying assets or at what rate? Also numbers that would be useful would be things like average sale value, units, or some nice charts to look at? I know that's perhaps asking a bit too much and may be against Unity business interests. But at least the # of registered users would help. Thanks

2. kalamona

kalamona

Nah I would like to see more too. Most often searched words, for example.

3. LaneFox

LaneFox

Pretty much any kind of metrics would be nice.

4. janpec

janpec

Yeh most searched words would be interesting, but i can pretty much shoot in the dark with guess: RPG

5. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

bet it is "free" ;)

6. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

So... anyone got any numbers whatsoever?

7. bosone

bosone

there would be interesting numbers...
    i have about 30 assets online in the music category and, in 1.5 years, i have sold less nearly 80 times.
    if there are even 10.000 potential buyers I think i can sell something more in the future! :)

8. cician

cician

I'd love to see how many users are there still on Unity 3.5 and the percentage of Free vs Pro users.

9. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Well, those 10,000 people were registered users on the store in 2011, but not necessarily in a position to buy something. The % of people who actually buy something may be much smaller, and probably differs based on price bracket. Based on Unity's rapid growth I'd imagine there could be between 50 and 100,000 registered asset store users now? And perhaps their registering an account is very closely tied to a willingness or intent to purchase, in most cases.

I did ask Unity this question in email and they said they could not share any sales figures etc.. However they did say that roughly 10% of asset store developers are now making $2000 or more a month, which is like about 2 x $30 assets being sold each day, or around 6 x $10 assets per day. It seems pretty good that 10% are making that much every month on average. I would imagine that the top sellers have significantly more buyers and there is a gradual falloff and a `long-tail` of people who see a trickle of sales for very niche items.

10. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I don't know, based on the context it seemed like it was how much the developers were actually taking home after Unity's cut.

11. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Okay thats not bad at all since its around $2860 gross. Its more like $95 a day

12. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

My platform controller is selling around 2 copies per day.

Editor charts sells a few a month.

UIs sell 5-10 times a month.

13. bosone

bosone

regarding free asset, I have free music pack which, since january 2013, is downloaded 100-150 times per month. potential users are a lot, potential customers less and people which actually buy even less, but still there is some potential here for a small extra income even for me! :)

14. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Do you guys notice a spike in sales whenever the first of the month rolls around, its like clockwork I guess it must be pay day.

15. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Yup, this is my impression too.

16. BFGames

BFGames

Would be very interesting to see some numbers.

However i am selling around 35-40 units a month on avg. So after Unity takes 30% and the lovely state of Denmark takes 40% - i am not making much lol :D