Search Unity

how many players can one server machine handle

Discussion in 'FPS.Sample Game' started by slava_pankratov, Oct 25, 2018.

1. slava_pankratov

slava_pankratov

hey! how many players can one server machine handle? have you performed any stress tests?

thanks,
    Slav

2. Mogens_H

Mogens_H

Unity Technologies

Good server performance is one of the key areas we always will be focusing on. We are doing stress testing and profiling, but only with up to 16 players (Using LaunchWindow you can, with the right arguments, start x Clients in headless doing some simple movement and shooting)

However the current netcode sends a full snapshot of the world to each player, and that limits how far the player count can go beyound the current 16. But we will be implementing a "relevancy system" where server only sends most relevant world state. This will allow for a lot more players and limit will be mostly depend on general gamecode performance

3. chrisk

chrisk

Hooray! One of the best news I've heard in many months. I've been wanting to hear this coming from Unity all these days. You made my day! Thank you very much and I hope you take many use-cases into the considerations. In the end, I would like Unity to beat Epic where they shine the most. To me, it's their network subsystem (and editor workflow) all the time, not rendering.

Cheers!

4. e199

e199

Will it be only used in fps sample on it will migrate to some separate networking package?

5. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Network solution in FPSSample based on New NetworkTransport layer.
    Alpha available - https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/multiplayer. Thus all new stuff, as I think, will be in this repo.
    From roadmap:
    upload_2018-10-26_22-22-1.png

6. Player7

Player7

headless Unity server support right at the end....

7. Litwin

Litwin

Does the server support 16 players per room or 16 players per server?

8. Enzi

Enzi

From what I could gather there exists no definition of rooms or channels.
    When implemented, the server could handle a lot more than 16 players. The mindful limitation of 16 players per room/channel would still be a thing. Not that you can't turn it up to 17 or whatever but at some point the N² problem of networking with lots of players arises and the only optimization is spatial aware updates that are also not implemented.

From what the tech can do and with lots of ECS jobs the server scales pretty well I think.The thing is that some routines still rely on GameObjects and vanilla components that are slooow.

All in all, there's still a lot of work to do for a BR scaled game. This sample is a very good starting point though. Having made 3 networked games now, I think their new approach and coding style is great.

Mrb83 likes this.