Search Unity

How many (MonoBehaviour) scripts are considered too many?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by JohnPet, Nov 18, 2018.

1. JohnPet

JohnPet

Hey there, during prototyping phase in game development, I ended up using a single script for many objects in a scene (containing one to two variables). For example, each ammo stash collectible is required to have a variable of different value, hence the "AmmoValue" script in each object.

Does having more than 100 of those objects in a scene make performance suffer?
    If yes, what could possibly be a workaround method to store and edit values for these types of objects that require a different number each one, even without a monobehaviour script?

sawnch likes this.
  2. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

No, I have over 10,000 'objects' (according to the unity profiler) in my mobile game, runs at 60 fps on most devices ~2 years old or newer, 30 fps on 5 years old and newer devices.

Objects existing are almost free, the only performance that might suffer is if you have to run updates on all those objects but it sounds like you don't, or if they are all dynamic physics objects, or have high rendering costs.

In general you shouldn't worry too much about performance until it becomes an issue, then when it does, profile it and you'll usually find the things that are slow are things you never would have guessed are slow.

Archtica likes this.
  3. What @Antony-Blackett said.
    Although it's beneficial to start with object pooling from the start. It will be less painful to rewrite half of your application for it. And you almost certainly will need it. But other than that, just be mindful and try to make everything you designed on the least possible way.

There are also other techniques which reduce the risk of performance issues (like custom update loops), but I think you're a very beginner, so it's okay to learn it later, when you actually have performance issues.

Antypodish likes this.
  4. JohnPet

JohnPet

Well the reason I care about performance early on is so that I don't change my methods mid-development.

The objects don't use updates indeed, and I really can't pool those, as I specifically edit the values to be different for each one. So, none really are alike. I use pooling for bullets and such, objects whose values are identical.

What worries me is the garbage collector after they are getting Destroyed once collected and their population. But since you guys have 10000+ monobehaviours, I guess then the performance is cool for now..

Beerfootbandit likes this.
  5. These two aren't related. If you have two of the same type but different values, you still can pool it. You just initialize from a database or something. Like you're pooling bullets and then update the initial position to the current position and rotation of the gun.

6. JohnPet

JohnPet

Sure thing. Besides all that, I'm still trying to figure out some trickery to manipulate a large number of objects with different/identical values. The entity component system is similar to what I have in mind, but it is kinda complex, at least for me.

A common case to use this system for would be NPCs. The same behaviour controlled by one master/brain script, applied to an X number of NPCs, but still storing different data for each one (position, rotation, health etc). A complex matter to solve..

7. SamuelGoldenbaum

SamuelGoldenbaum

As lurking said, look to object pooling. 100 units in a scene each with 20 components attached is not crazy, but constantly creating and destroying them can be expensive and trigger a lot of garbage collection which can impact performance.

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

2,147,483,647 is starting to get too many. You'll start running into problems with 32 bit systems running out of address space.

As long as you stay clear of that, you'll be fine.

:p

(The real answer is use exactly as many as it takes to get the job done.)

LaKais and lordofduct like this.
  9. Antypodish

Antypodish

Also, always keep an eye on profiler.
    If you implement something new, check for its performance.
    Is easier to track issues early.

I personally trying keep to minimum MonoBehaviours. Close to 1.

10. JohnPet

JohnPet

@Kiwasi That's my answer right there! :'D
    @Antypodish What do you mean keep MonoBehaviours close to 1? Only 1 MonoBehaviour in your whole project?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  11. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Having monos without Update or trigger methods isn't that expensive. Having a few hundred with Updates is ok too. But I would try to disable objects thats not relevant etc so they are not updated unnecessary. Though, don't do premature optimization. Instead write maintainable code that is agile and easy to refactor and reshape when you do need to optimize

12. Antypodish

Antypodish

Yes.

13. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Must be very simple projects then.

14. Antypodish

Antypodish

Yes it is, look my signature.

15. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Not necessarily. Its possible to move all of the code out into vanilla C# and just have one MonoBehaviour to trigger it all. Its a common strategy for some types of games.

Antypodish likes this.
  16. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

How do you work with collision in those games? Collision in unity needs a monobehaviour with OnCollsion declared, etc

17. lordofduct

lordofduct

What if the game doesn't need collision?

Or maybe the game has very simple collision that doesn't require box2d or physx.

I worked on a simple old-school strategy game recently. The game itself was completely independent of Unity, and already was running on mobile and in a simple debugger tool. They just wanted Unity to be a flashy/pretty visual layer over the game itself.

Kiwasi and Antypodish like this.
  18. Antypodish

Antypodish

There is numerous ways. For example from simple use of raycast, to use of trees, like octree for example, calculate own AABB and OBB, or other spatial method. I.e.

As @Kiwasi mentioned, I can scale to whatever number of objects I want, with use of single MonoBehaviour.
    Very helpful approach, when working with ECS.

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  19. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Thats ECS and C# Jobs, I talk about classic Monobehaviours. If you want to subcribe to collision each rigidbody needs its monobehaviour

20. You can cast a ray from simple C#. It's not have to be ECS or job. It's not mandatory to subscribe to collisions you can detect the same effect with other tools.

21. lordofduct

lordofduct

You asked how collision might be done with out 'OnCollission' message. They supplied it. You did not give some caveat that it has to be in a special context... that's the entire point, once leaving said special context, there are a lot of options!

It's like you said "How do you drive without a car?", "Maybe you drive a boat." And you respond with "I'm talking about driving my car though, how do I drive my car without may car."

Well yeah... semantically, you can't drive your car without your car.

Kiwasi and Antypodish like this.
  22. Antypodish

Antypodish

You asked about collision solutions.
    From game to game requirements are different.
    And solutions are different.
    In this case, showing way without MonoBehaviour as you asked for explanation.
    And not all have to be done in ECS. They will work fine in Classic OOP.

23. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

You could be doing that just don't see the point when Physx and Unity have done it for me. See, I think it's really stupid I need to have a monobehavaioir for that. For example for bullet casing that should make sounds when colliding with environment. Really overkill adding a component for each and every bullet, would have been better if we could subribe to the collision somehow instead

24. lordofduct

lordofduct

I mean technically speaking... a component is a subscription to the collision.

Your subscriber is in the form of a component instead of say a 'delegate' or some other subscriber object. In the end they're just an object wrapper around a function that is called by the dispatcher.

Most of that overhead comes from the collision calculation itself. And that was going to have to occur on a per bullet basis regardless if you wanted to use a collider based system.

25. Antypodish

Antypodish

I got impression that you try to impose only one way is right?
    If you think is stupid, stick to your way.
    I will use, what is suitable for the project.

lordofduct likes this.