Search Unity

How many devices do you test on?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yoonitee, Mar 19, 2015.

1. yoonitee

yoonitee

Mainly a question for single indie developers. How many platforms do you test on?

Me:

Window 8 touch-screen laptop: For Windows standalone and Windows 8 Metro apps and Windows Phone emulation.
    MacBook Air: For Mac standalone and IOS emulator.
    Android Nexus 7 + Samsung Galaxy Y phone: For Android testing.

I should probably also have a Windows Phone and a iPad to test things on but the emulators are fine at the moment and I still get good ratings despite never having actually tested on these devices! :eek: (But usually if it works well on Android it works well on everything else).

It's a bit of a pain having all these devices and I'd rather just have one that could emulate everything else. But usually these devices pay for themselves in the long run.

2. Philip-Rowlands

Philip-Rowlands

Just my own laptop, running Windows 7. Given that I only make Windows standalones at the moment, I don't really need anything else.

3. TonyLi

TonyLi

I think tools developers end up having to test on more platforms so they can provide support for them. Over the past couple years, I've had to build, buy, or borrow: OSX, iOS (iPad and iPhone), Windows 7, Windows 8 Metro, Windows Phone 8, Linux, Android (tablet and phone), PSP, and Xbox. I may need to get an Ouya very soon to work support with some customers.

My regular test battery for a release includes OSX, iOS, Android, Windows 7, and Windows 8 Metro, which is what most customers expect thorough testing on. I usually just spot test on Linux, WP8, and other platforms as necessary.

4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

At least one device for every supported platform and form factor for a given project. For some projects that can be a dozen or more devices...

Ideally you'll also cover the latest couple of major OS releases (eg: iOS 7 and 8). Since most devices have more than one form factor I try to hit two birds with one stone there, since it's typically pretty clear what issues are related to what differences in the devices.

Edit: Ugh, the typos today!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  5. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

Samsung Galaxy S3, S5, and soon the S6 Edge :)
    Nexus 7, Intel Nuvision, iPad, Galaxy Tab 3
    iPhone 4s, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6
    Macbook Air and this Windows 8.1 computer

6. 00christian00

00christian00

I test on 3 devices now but once the game is finished I plan to test on more:
    1-Asus TF101 Transformer with Android 4.4. It is my crappiest device, a lousy Tegra2 and I make sure everything run smoothly there cause if it can run there it will run everywhere :D
    That's the main reason I still haven't moved to Unity5, cause they dropped non neon cpu support and I can't test anymore on it :(
    2-HTC One X Android 5 unofficial firmware. That's already quite performant and use it to test daily and to see what I can achieve. Running on lollipop I actually discovered some issue I didn't expect, don't know if it's the unoffical fw.
    3-Iphone 4 with IOS 7. I test on this once in a while just to make sure everything is ok, although IOS will be my main platform, simply because I am more comfortable on Windows, and testing on device is slower than Android, so time wasted for me. The performance are similar to the Tegra 2 anyway.

4-I also have a Iphone 5s, but so far I have never felt the need to test on it(too powerful), when It will be ready I will test on it too.
    5- Once in a while I steal my sister crappy chinese oem phone with dual core Mediatek, again to check the low spec device performance.