Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

How many devices do you test on?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yoonitee, Mar 19, 2015.

1. yoonitee

yoonitee

Mainly a question for single indie developers. How many platforms do you test on?

Me:

Window 8 touch-screen laptop: For Windows standalone and Windows 8 Metro apps and Windows Phone emulation.
    MacBook Air: For Mac standalone and IOS emulator.
    Android Nexus 7 + Samsung Galaxy Y phone: For Android testing.

I should probably also have a Windows Phone and a iPad to test things on but the emulators are fine at the moment and I still get good ratings despite never having actually tested on these devices! :eek: (But usually if it works well on Android it works well on everything else).

It's a bit of a pain having all these devices and I'd rather just have one that could emulate everything else. But usually these devices pay for themselves in the long run.

2. Philip-Rowlands

Philip-Rowlands

Just my own laptop, running Windows 7. Given that I only make Windows standalones at the moment, I don't really need anything else.

3. TonyLi

TonyLi

I think tools developers end up having to test on more platforms so they can provide support for them. Over the past couple years, I've had to build, buy, or borrow: OSX, iOS (iPad and iPhone), Windows 7, Windows 8 Metro, Windows Phone 8, Linux, Android (tablet and phone), PSP, and Xbox. I may need to get an Ouya very soon to work support with some customers.

My regular test battery for a release includes OSX, iOS, Android, Windows 7, and Windows 8 Metro, which is what most customers expect thorough testing on. I usually just spot test on Linux, WP8, and other platforms as necessary.

4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

At least one device for every supported platform and form factor for a given project. For some projects that can be a dozen or more devices...

Ideally you'll also cover the latest couple of major OS releases (eg: iOS 7 and 8). Since most devices have more than one form factor I try to hit two birds with one stone there, since it's typically pretty clear what issues are related to what differences in the devices.

Edit: Ugh, the typos today!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  5. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

Samsung Galaxy S3, S5, and soon the S6 Edge :)
    Nexus 7, Intel Nuvision, iPad, Galaxy Tab 3
    iPhone 4s, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6
    Macbook Air and this Windows 8.1 computer

6. 00christian00

00christian00

I test on 3 devices now but once the game is finished I plan to test on more:
    1-Asus TF101 Transformer with Android 4.4. It is my crappiest device, a lousy Tegra2 and I make sure everything run smoothly there cause if it can run there it will run everywhere :D
    That's the main reason I still haven't moved to Unity5, cause they dropped non neon cpu support and I can't test anymore on it :(
    2-HTC One X Android 5 unofficial firmware. That's already quite performant and use it to test daily and to see what I can achieve. Running on lollipop I actually discovered some issue I didn't expect, don't know if it's the unoffical fw.
    3-Iphone 4 with IOS 7. I test on this once in a while just to make sure everything is ok, although IOS will be my main platform, simply because I am more comfortable on Windows, and testing on device is slower than Android, so time wasted for me. The performance are similar to the Tegra 2 anyway.

4-I also have a Iphone 5s, but so far I have never felt the need to test on it(too powerful), when It will be ready I will test on it too.
    5- Once in a while I steal my sister crappy chinese oem phone with dual core Mediatek, again to check the low spec device performance.

unityunity