Search Unity

How many can create a game from grounds up?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by splattenburgers, Jun 11, 2019.

1. splattenburgers

splattenburgers

Not counting the engine itself?

As in making all the content from scratch including the models, levels, textures, materials, at least most of the audio, etc. Not 100% but at least 90+%.

?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Everyone. It's just that most people aren't happy with just pong. :p

3. Murgilod

Murgilod

Plenty. I'd wager the vast majority of indie titles are single person projects.

angrypenguin and ArtsyAngelee like this.
  4. splattenburgers

splattenburgers

Most indie "games" are asset flips. And even the ones who aren't are often using lots of premade assets anyway. And I am talking about full games, not stuff like pong clones.

5. bobisgod234

bobisgod234

There is nothing inherently wrong with using premade assets.

Pong is a "full game". Could you elaborate on what your vision of a "full game" is? Without that, you might as well be asking how long is a piece of string.

ArtsyAngelee and angrypenguin like this.
  6. Murgilod

Murgilod

Even ignoring those, my point remains the same. Most indie games are solo projects because the money required to get other people to work with you with any degree of consistency is a barrier all on its own. I mean hell, your entire asset flip statement falls apart because indie games have existed long before asset flips or even Unity were things. I was playing indie games made by one person that were on floppy disks that came bundled with magazines.

7. splattenburgers

splattenburgers

Premade assets are fine assuming they are used in very specific ways. As a general rule of thumb, if the player notices that something is a premade asset then you did something wrong. If he doesn't, then it's fine. I also think that certain things inherently are better suited for being used as premade assets, such as material textures and audio for example, compared to other things like entire characters or weapons/items.

As for what I meant by a "full game", I mean anything that goes beyond being a simple time waster that could be made by somebody in a few days. Like, actual srs game projects. I know such simple games are technically games, but you know what I mean.

8. Tzan

Tzan

Me me me I can!
    But I need to work a normie job to pay bills.

9. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Me and @frosted have done the bulk of this project:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/project-in-6-weeks-lessons-about-scope-and-such.686152/#post-4624090

from scratch and will publish in a total of 8 weeks dev time. Final product will have 6-10 hours of playtime, possibly double or triple that depending on how much you like the game or suck at it.

Has almost 30 unique characters, all enviro stuff is made from scratch....I used a few small things from asset packs. I think the bases for some of the FX was from asset store stuff, but all heavily modified. Audio we are using whatever free S*** we can find, exccept we record all dialogue ourselves.

It's our second attempt at making a game. We aren't pros. Just takes a lot of time and dedication is all. And you gotta stay in scope and know what you can and can't do.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  10. Murgilod

Murgilod

Again. There are loads of these games. People have been doing this since the 60s. Even Tennis for Two was made by only two people and that may as well be the first videogame ever made.

Just make a game. It is possible. You can do it.

ArtsyAngelee and angrypenguin like this.
  11. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

BTW, it's a bad question. What's the use of any answer even if it could be answered?

Here's better question, "Is there any practical merit to making a game entirely from scratch?"

And the resounding answer, I expect, is no.

Would completing a marathon by pulling myself along the ground by my teeth be impressive? Yes, it would. Does it do anything useful for anybody? No. Nobody cares.

ArtsyAngelee likes this.
  12. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Everyone? Noone? Your question is fairly nebulous and hard to pin down.

How many people could make a game that only the top ten percent of developers could make? Probably about ten percent of developers.

13. Murgilod

Murgilod

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iconoclasts_(video_game)

Here. It's new even. The only thing other people were used for was the porting process. I can find hundreds of examples going back years.

People have been making "full games" on their own for over fifty F***ing years.

14. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Many, many people. As noted above it has been for a long time and continues even more today. Not sure the point of the question. Can it be done? Yes, of course, obviously. How many? A subset of the the whole.

ArtsyAngelee likes this.
  15. Billy4184

Billy4184

What number could I give you that would convince you that you could do it yourself?

ArtsyAngelee and zombiegorilla like this.
  16. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Plenty, the answer is plenty.

But why are you asking?

zombiegorilla likes this.
  17. Deleted User

Deleted User

I am. The only things I won't be able to do are the sounds files; those I'll have to borrow from Unity Technologies.

Go ahead, launch yourself! :D