Search Unity

How many animations can Main char have in AAA?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by IgorAherne, Feb 16, 2014.

1. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Hello everyone!

Could you please answer a couple of my questions?

I know that for many animation clips, it's a requirement to have 24 frames, especially for repetitive loops, such as walkcycles, throwing punches, etc. -Why is it so?

However, what if my animation is a cycle, but will take 4-5 seconds to get to original place, is it ok if I use 96-120 frames for my clip?

Also, as I am watching different AAA games, the character is interacting with the world everywhere, be it lifting a heavy door, breaking through the door, or simply lifting a can of beans from a shelf. The thing is - he does it differently everytime!

Now, of course there is such thing as animation blending, but apart from that, is it possibile for the character (main character) to have 500+ animations for the game? (due to those complementary, ambient animations, where he interacts with the world?)

Thank you!

2. jRocket

jRocket

It isn't. There is no 24 frame requirement for anything.

Yes, it's quite fine. It might eat up a little more memory, but devices and computers have a lot of memory these days.

I don' think there's any limitations on the number of animations you can have. It would probably be too much for mobile, but certainly PC's could handle that.