Search Unity

How long would it take you to make a level of your favourite retro game in Unity?

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Arowx, Feb 1, 2017.

1. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

LOL! at the end summary. :)

I get what you're saying. Atlantic Crisis and Treasures of Ali-Gar were the last two games I completed in Unity. I left game dev for a couple of months and then I stumbled on AGK and started dabbling around with it near the end of the year. My current game is in AGK.

But for me this is exactly the reason. With AGK I can just focus on my game itself. I don't have to think about all of this other stuff, the Editor, prefabs (or not), GameObjects, monobehaviours, rigidbodies/physics in general, etc. And I don't need to think how to get around these things.... how to turn them off (if possible) and so forth.

It's the opposite... I know that unless I have explicitly programmed something in or am explictly using the API to do something... then it is not in there. And this simplifies things and makes development more straightforward.

And it's not just about retro games. For me it is any game. I expect one day to make a 3D FPS game one kind or another and a 3D RPG of one kind or another. And I still won't have any use for this stuff. Or at least not some of it.

So this is why I would love to see some examples... retro games or otherwise... showing what the best practices are for using Unity without using rigidbodies/physics system, nav system, even without using the Animator, etc. To me this is what is lacking and would make Unity usable for far more game projects and be useful to more developers.

Schneider21 likes this.
  2. Schneider21

Schneider21

That's a fair point. I'm definitely heavily influenced by the fact that I've been tinkering with Unity and C# for a number of years now, so my inclination is to use something I'm familiar with. But there's definitely no golden hammer that works for every situation, and if a developer decides that any engine isn't right for them, it's always the correct call.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  3. Arowx

Arowx

Just graphics but it's a start, and I'm testing in WebGL as I go.

Not_Sure and GarBenjamin like this.
  4. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

This is how you make doom, the guy keeps updating and making it better

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The fast reload thing is idiotic and looks like masturbation. Bullet holes in screen looks odd and distracting.

6. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

What Brutal Doom has to do with the topic anyway? It was developed for six years and is a mod, not a remake.

_M_S_D_ likes this.
  7. Arowx

Arowx

Have you seen the rather retro but great looking COMPUND?

Now that looks good retro art!

Not_Sure and Aiursrage2k like this.
  8. Murgilod

Murgilod

Great, now I have to change the aesthetic of my current project.

Either that, or beat this person to market.

9. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

No i didnt looks great

10. Arowx

Arowx

Had a major setback, Virus, HD wiped, lost a lot of work!

Note to self regular backups and or cloud based storage of projects a must!