Search Unity

How long take to make android game?

Discussion in 'Android' started by leegod, Jan 22, 2012.

1. leegod

leegod

[presume]
    Normal game standard, 1 man developer, 1 designer(2d graphic),
    2$~3$ game standard.

then,

1month? 2 month? 4 month?

2. wccrawford

wccrawford

Depends on the game. Could be from 3 months to 5 years, depending on the quality and depth of the game... And how good the developer is.

3. MABManZ

MABManZ

Depends entirely on the scope of your game and how fast you can work.

4. leegod

leegod

Can you share your specific example? not generic comments. please.

5. login4donald

login4donald

Well you asked, general comments is all we can really give, much less guess without specifics. What is your goal? Are you alone? Experience? And it all really depends on you.

6. leegod

leegod

I now just want to gather any info before I dive into. I can be alone, but can be team. I am now just observer, so my position is not important.

7. MABManZ

MABManZ

You have to be more specific or we can't give you any kind of timetable, seriously.

What genre? What level of graphical detail? How many levels? Multiplayer?

Are you already familiar with using Unity or 3D modeling?

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Even a simplistic game will usually take a month. If it's your first game you should consider 6 months for a simple title.

Since you asked how long it takes this means:

a) you're not very experienced
    b) you haven't shipped a title before
    c) you might have a lot of last minute issues

So it could take longer. But like everyone's pointed out - it will depend on the game. And if I were you I would make the game really simple so you can just get something finished.

9. leegod

leegod

so repeatedly say, I don't have any specific game plan to android platform yet, so even if I am familiar with unity, nobody can say how long I will take the time.

So share your specific case plz if possible.

10. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

Your question is too ambiguous to answer.

11. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

I don't believe leegod want us to answer how long it will take him, he wants examples of how long it took others to complete a game with X team structure.

12. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

Ahhhh, that makes a lot more sense.

13. DamianGto

DamianGto

Well you just did ask the question that it is very very hard to answer.
    But I will say for a normal small game you should spend 2-6 months with before you will sell it.
    Most of the time when you do make games you will add things to it you did not even think about when you did start planing it.
    Also you need to time to test it and find the bugs.
    On bigger games you can be sure it take 6+ months do develop.
    Many big company with big games spend years in development.
    Often the basic game take 10-20% of the time and fine tune and bug fix often take 80-90% of the time.

As you can see it is impossible to give you a better answer then this.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

There are plenty of web articles describing mobile game projects - I recently found three on gamasutra.com (and that's just searching for "postmortem" in the title, there are many more articles), which together would lead me to conclude you shouldn't schedule less than six months for anything significant - http://www.fugutalk.com/?p=5223

If you're asking everyone to contribute their personal experiences, I suggest editing the original post to say that.

15. leegod

leegod

Yes thx.
    Recently I found there need more time to balancing and bug-testing than actually make programming time. It looks like 1:1 or 1:2.
    So if there are few people in team, the game size must be incredibly small. If there is no fund, nobody can maintain more than 5~6 months. Even 1 month.

16. DamianGto

DamianGto

I am sure even how good programmer it is in the team, it still will be more time spent on other thing then the core game programming.
    Bugs and issues take a lot of time to fix. You will spend most time on that.
    A small game you can do yourself or with a small team, but as you can understand if you do not have any other income you need to get money for your development.
    Thats why many do it on the spare time until they get money for it.
    It is very very hard to get a sponsor to pay your develpoment.
    So the first game you do, you can not think you will get any funds for it.
    To get a sponsor take time and luck and they want to see what you can do,
    That means you must already have things to show. As you can understand that take time and money to do,
    But the main thing is that you should always plan development time atleast 6 months, even on small games,