Search Unity

Feedback How long (if ever) until the Linux experience is on par with the windows experience?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by AlfieBooth, Nov 24, 2021.

1. AlfieBooth

AlfieBooth

I'm aware there is a pinned thread about a full release in the current 2021.2 dev cycle, however, many things are clearly just not there yet. I know as new bugs arise they need to be reported, but there are many immediate things that have been similar for a long time, and on these forums there is certainly a sense of 'well, it’s better than it was, and at least we have something' rather than pursuing true parity with the windows experience.

To be clear, I’m talking about the experience on the suggested distro’s and versions, with the suggested desktop managers.

Editor issues like the window resizing stutter, window moving roulette, daily visits from my friend ‘bokken’…

I’m conscious that obviously, by being in the Linux community, if there was a particular bug bear in our daily software then we usually can have some input ourselves to sort it, and this is not the case here. I’m aware that the market share of Linux is (currently, possibly forever) not comparable to that of windows, so the Linux editor team I’m sure are very stretched. However, this is PAID software for many of us (many years for me!).

It's very frustrating because it seems sooo close, and yet so far. Also, with windows 11.. sheesh, talk about a beta release! Gnome is a polished jewel by comparison.

I’m not trying to pick holes or anything, I truly appreciate the efforts of the team we see present on these forums, like Kevin. I’m just wondering if we will ever see parity in the editor, and if so, when?

polycube and 2dgame like this.
  2. codewitchery

codewitchery

My impression is that even with the Unity team doing the best they can to support Linux, they have to constantly keep up with the latest in proprietary graphics, hardware, consoles, XR, etc, and none of those tend to prioritize (or even support) Linux. So even if parity is achieved, it's going to be a moving target. :(

Currently doing my best to make cool games on Linux so that there's a reason to care about keeping Linux developers happy.

AlfieBooth likes this.
  3. dan_ginovker

dan_ginovker

I'm developing on the MacOS editor and I've gotta say the Linux editor doesn't have it so bad. There's this idea that it's lacking and has major issues, but that's just the Unity editor in general

AlfieBooth likes this.