Search Unity

How is the UI still a problem in 2019?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Skyrant, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Skyrant

Skyrant

How is the font problem still not fixed in 2019? This is a bad font to start with. It's barely readable at that size even in 1920x1080. In 4k it's impossible to work with the Editor. Why has this not been fixed?

upload_2019-10-24_12-26-42.png

I really tried guys but I guess I go back to using Unreal.

2. Olmi

Olmi

Hi and welcome,

It probably depends a lot on your screen. I wouldn't try to use Unity on a small screen, like a laptop. I'm using Unity with a 4k screen and the font is quite readable to my eyes (imo.)

But I'd like to be able to adjust font-size and change the UI font too...And many other settings that are now just static. Seems like some things are devolving when it comes to modern user-interfaces.

3. Mauri

Mauri

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I've never had a problem with the font. If you're using a rather small 4k display and not using any scaling, then I'm sure the font would be too small though for that setup. Could be either your eyes or the distance from the display too.

I often run Unity on a 13" 1920x1080 laptop display without issue, but my eyes are good and I usually am really close to its display.

5. Skyrant

Skyrant

I run Unity on a 43" 4K Monitor (LG 43UD79-B). The problem is that the font used is a bad choice and it is clearly set too small. I can read it but it is a strain on the eyes and makes working for more than a couple hours really difficult.

upload_2019-10-25_7-39-2.png

Going below the minimum resolution of a font is not only dumb, it's incompetence. Most fonts are designed for 8-10px upwards. It looks like Unity is running the font at 6px which of cause will create artefacts and destroy legibility.